What's new

SP3 fan is always on after upgrade to Win 10.

double07

So, I like many folks here went ahead and upgraded SP3 to Win 10 Pro. What I noticed is: my SP3 fan is always on. It never shut off. The SP3 is running hotter then usual. Does anyone notice this? I am also running in battery safe mode. The fan is never stop?? I see no update running, no other process running...

My SP3 is i7 8GB model.

Reactions: Kif
OP
D

double07

Check the Indexing Options and remove from there anything that you don't need or use.

Thanks, disabled all. I will see if that would help.

Update: it does not look like disabling index feature help. Fan is still going

Update 2: I believe, I have eliminated the issue. It appeared to be one of the previously installed apps. I disallowed them all from running in the background. I don't know which one? I will have to bring it up one at the time to find out, no time yet.

Last edited:

kiwirider

Update 2: I believe, I have eliminated the issue. It appeared to be one of the previously installed apps. I disallowed them all from running in the background. I don't know which one? I will have to bring it up one at the time to find out, no time yet.

Same model as mine - I'm seeing ~20% CPU utilisation due to system interrupts after the upgrade. That wasn't happening prior to the upgrade. Are you seeing this also or is it just something I have installed on my SP3?

<edit> just found that the interrupts are being generated by the Intel Extreme Tweaking Utility (XTU). It seems like it is not compatible with Windows 10 yet ... :-(

Last edited:

Kif

I was just going to make the same post. Under the same work loads my SP3 runs little hot (ie: fan is runnin more frequently). I noticed the Edge seems to hog up system resources especially if you leave to running for awhile. I wondering if there's some leaking going there somewhere.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just going to make the same post. Under the same work loads my SP3 runs little hot (ie: fan is runnin more frequently). I noticed the Edge seems to hog up system resources especially if you leave to running for awhile. I wondering if there's some leaking going there somewhere.
Could be some post startup tuning... it might settle down in a while.

OP
D

double07

Same model as mine - I'm seeing ~20% CPU utilisation due to system interrupts after the upgrade. That wasn't happening prior to the upgrade. Are you seeing this also or is it just something I have installed on my SP3?

<edit> just found that the interrupts are being generated by the Intel Extreme Tweaking Utility (XTU). It seems like it is not compatible with Windows 10 yet ... :-(

In win 8.1 and the way I had it. My SF3 is operated normally, meaning fan, processes, load, etc... were normal and nothing to be alarm. With that said, after upgraded to Win 10. My SF3 with no apps open(well, discounting the background process), the load was always hover at 35-40% and CPU at 2Ghz+. Therefore, the fan would kick in and always on. That led me to investigating the background processes.

I disable indexing per ctitanic suggestion, but it wasn't it. I then started to poke around more and found the tab that says "Background apps". There are pretty much all the apps I had installed in Win 8.1. So, I pretty much disable 80% of them as of now. After rebooting, the issue with fan and the load were GONE!!! I am not now happier. The load is now between 1-3%, CPU is less than 1Ghz during idle and NO FAN.

I don't blame Win 10. I think it is really all the apps installed might need to be updated to be compatible with Win 10. I would say more efficient rather then compatible with Win 10. I will probably try to enable one or two app I want background at a time over the weekend to find out which one that don't play well with Win 10.

All in all, I am pretty happy with Win 10 now. Just need to get use to doing things differently.

Last edited:
OP
D

double07

I am seeing the Edge is consuming around 250-400MB per tab, I guess it depends on the tab content. I think other Browser sort of the same, but I don't remember exact memory consumption.

Check to see if your SP3 is defragmenting. I'm not talking about TRIM which should happen, but the defragger was making my SP3 so hot i could burn myself.