What's new

SP3 Firmware/Windows Update Issue

VKuber

Hello everyone,

Picked up the SP3 over the weekend and finally had some time to sit down with the device.

I've ran into an issue that maybe someone could help me out with? I've went ahead and attempted to update the device for both windows and the firmware itself.

Currently the SP3 has been on the screen - Please wait while we install a system update - for over an hour with the fan running at full throttle it seems.

(Not sure if I should let the device run out of battery and try again, hard reset, etc. since I'm basically locked out)

I tried searching on the forum to see if there was anyone else having this issue but came up empty. (Google / Twitter as well)

Any assistance would be appreciated since I would actually like to use it!

Thank you.

photo1.jpg

Last edited:

persianrunr

I had the same problem with mine as well. Hold both the Volume Up & Power Button until your Surface turns off. It should turn back on and go back to the same screen as in your picture. It took me about 10 minutes from there and then it restarted one more time before finally booting to the Start Screen. Best of luck - hope it works for you as well!

OP
V

VKuber

I had the same problem with mine as well. Hold both the Volume Up & Power Button until your Surface turns off. It should turn back on and go back to the same screen as in your picture. It took me about 10 minutes from there and then it restarted one more time before finally booting to the Start Screen. Best of luck - hope it works for you as well!

Thank you for the information. I was able to follow these steps and went ahead and tried the process again but this time it was successful!

I understand issues like this do arise, but for the avg. enduser dealing with something like this can ruin the entire experience of a product.

strollin

One comment about your picture. You have both the Surface and Mac Book Air sitting on a soft surface (bed?). This is really bad for laptops and tablets as they aren't able to get sufficient air flow. Additionally, lint and dust get sucked in to their cooling system and plug things up. I recommend that you always place laptops and tablets on a solid surface when operating them.

ctitanic

Intel has new versions for the Graphic chip driver, sorry the Wifi still the same.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

godson594

interesting, your may have to install the driver manually from Device Manager. Anyway I checked the fixes and mostly are for games.

I ran into the same thing. I was hoping it would give me the control panel for video so I can try and disable the auto-brighten annoyance. Same thing drove me nuts on my SP2 and i'm sad to say it's on the SP3 too :(