What's new

SP3 Getting Ridiculously Hot

SPS828

Hey guys this is my first post. I bought a Surface Pro 3 with Intel i5 and 128GB of storage and I've noticed that even doing basic things like checking my email, browsing the web, playing casual games it gets extremly hot. It get so hot that I have to put it down on my desk and turn off for 30 minuets before it's completly cool. I also did a system refresh and that didn't help. Does anyone know why it's doing this or should I get it replaced?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't sound right, my SP3 has got warm while charging but never hot, I would exchange it personally.

OP
S

SPS828

I was thinking the same thing my fiend has an SP3 that has only gotten hot when playing games like minecraft.

Bandito

Have you checked Task Manager to see if anything tasks are hogging the CPU? If so, you could kill them and everything should cool back down.

Can you feel and hear the fan running? If it's really hot, the fan should be on and audible in a quiet room and you should feel hot air escaping out of the vents around the perimeter of the case.

Let us know what you find!

Geneo

SPS828, it's not an 'end of the world' deal breaker, but before I get my SP3 I was interested in playing Minecraft (among other things) on it. (Yes, I realize it's not a gaming machine.)
Did your friend say it gets "hot" (as in, scared to play MC on it anymore) or does it get "hot" (as in, my MBPro heats up with MC too, but it's within tolerances)?

OP
S

SPS828

Have you checked Task Manager to see if anything tasks are hogging the CPU? If so, you could kill them and everything should cool back down.

Can you feel and hear the fan running? If it's really hot, the fan should be on and audible in a quiet room and you should feel hot air escaping out of the vents around the perimeter of the case.

Let us know what you find!

The fans actually audible in a relatively noisy room and I can feel hot air coming out of the vents. Also, I've checked and nothing is running in the background.

Last edited:
OP
S

SPS828

SPS828, it's not an 'end of the world' deal breaker, but before I get my SP3 I was interested in playing Minecraft (among other things) on it. (Yes, I realize it's not a gaming machine.)
Did your friend say it gets "hot" (as in, scared to play MC on it anymore) or does it get "hot" (as in, my MBPro heats up with MC too, but it's within tolerances)?

My friends SP3 gets pretty warm with playing games like minecraft but my SP3 just gets hotter doing basic non-gaming things.

scottysize

Doesn't sound right, my SP3 has got warm while charging but never hot, I would exchange it personally.

Same here. Mine gets warm when charging. That's the only time I've even heard my fan kick on was while I was charging a playing a golf game. I'd say take it to an MS store, if you have one, or Best Buy, or send it in for a replacement if it's done this from the beginning. If it's a new thing, then it could be a program that you're running in the background.

Geneo

Side note: I have a MBpro/retina, i7. Just sitting, doing nothing, the core runs at about 96 degrees F, fan at 2078 RPM (the fan always runs some). As I'm typing this the core is now 99 degrees. Playing Minecraft (it's an excellent heat test), it jumps to about 148 degrees, fan goes over 6,000 RPM, and one corner gets really warm. Most other games get it to about 130-135 degrees, fan at mid speed.

Computers and people have something in common: we both get hot when we work. (But computers can't sweat.)
The question is, when is it too hot, or for too long?

Seneleron

100c is "how hot is too hot". That's listed tJunction on the 4300U. Hot when idling indicates something is running in the background. This could be something you don't immediately think of. . like disk indexing or windows update checks. You'll also see heat spikes when using flash, etc.