What's new

SP3 hooked up to dual monitors

puma

Hey guys, so I hooked up my sp3 to dual ultrasharp u2414h monitors. Worked great.. however, the cpu utilization does not go below 23%.. with nothing running. I plan on using this during the day docked.. how can they bill this as a replacement for a laptop with this kind of overhead? Anyone else seeing this? I am using the display port for this and not the USB port.

mohcho

Are you sure you have nothing else running? I have mine plugged into a Plugable UD-3900 dock with 2 x 22" Dell monitors, two instances of chrome with about 7-8 tabs open, a RDP session open and a command prompt and my CPU is hovering around 2-3% but memory use is 71%.

OP
P

puma

Are you sure you have nothing else running? I have mine plugged into a Plugable UD-3900 dock with 2 x 22" Dell monitors, two instances of chrome with about 7-8 tabs open, a RDP session open and a command prompt and my CPU is hovering around 2-3% but memory use is 71%.

So I was using the pluggable but only for ethernet, mouse, keyboard. I unplugged this alone, and now the utilization dropped. Do you think the microsoft dock will also use this kind of overhead??

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So I was using the pluggable but only for ethernet, mouse, keyboard. I unplugged this alone, and now the utilization dropped. Do you think the microsoft dock will also use this kind of overhead??

No because the Pluggable use a DisplayLink USB Virtual Video Card that is rendered by the CPU and the Microsoft Dock uses a DisplayPort Adapter that will actually use the Intel HD4400 GMA....

OP
P

puma

No because the Pluggable use a DisplayLink USB Virtual Video Card that is rendered by the CPU and the Microsoft Dock uses a DisplayPort Adapter that will actually use the Intel HD4400 GMA....

I understand. This was my set up:
Pluggable - I used this ONLY for keyboard/ethernet/mouse, I ran the monitors off of the miniport to two monitors daisy chained. This produced high CPU utilization.

How I fixed it:
I took out the pluggable from the equation and instead used the USB hub that was built into one of the monitors to run the ethernet dongle, keyboard and mouse. Now it's huming along at >2% which is perfect. So the pluggable ethernet might have been the culprit.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I understand. This was my set up:
Pluggable - I used this ONLY for keyboard/ethernet/mouse, I ran the monitors off of the miniport to two monitors daisy chained. This produced high CPU utilization.

How I fixed it:
I took out the pluggable from the equation and instead used the USB hub that was built into one of the monitors to run the ethernet dongle, keyboard and mouse. Now it's huming along at >2% which is perfect. So the pluggable ethernet might have been the culprit.

Just because you weren't using the USB Video card doesn't mean that the driver wasn't installed and enabled, you will see a DisplayLink Driver running in Task Manager....

Ruffles

In the task manager, make sure you have Kernel times selected on the CPU graphs. That way, you can see if the OS is taking up CPU or if it's some other process. If you tablet is brand new, it could be doing indexing and other optimizations and performance will increase when it finishes.

OP
P

puma

Just because you weren't using the USB Video card doesn't mean that the driver wasn't installed and enabled, you will see a DisplayLink Driver running in Task Manager....

I didn't see display link in the processes.. what I did see was

System
System Intercept

Those two were causing the cpu utilization. I cut out the Pluggable, and all is well now. Just using a USB 3.0 hub

mohcho

Did you update the drivers for the Pluggable dock? I'm using both the video outputs, ethernet and usb and audio connections and no issues. They're on version 7.61 now.

unruledboy

@jnjroach

so to take advantage of the GPU rendering, and without the dock, how to achieve supporting two external monitors?