What's new

SP3 i5 users--when do you hear your fan come on?

Fast-T

On heavy internet usage i can hear the fan coming up. I am not talking about browsing. Large file upload or download seem to utilize the cpu a lot.
Also video coding an batch photo developing. In standard use no fan at all.

Bandito

I, too, typically will hear the fan when doing updates. I also can hear it when playing the Modern UI version of MS Solitaire if I have the background music turned off. It gets fairly warm while playing even though the graphics use would be, in my opinion, very light.

Other than those two instances, however, the unit is usually silent.

HarnessTech

I have a i5/ 4GB SP3. The only time I have heard the fan come on is when doing some (but not all) updates. Till date that is the only time that I have heard the fan. Also, the top left corner of the tablet does get warm from time to time. But just warm, not hot and that too quite infrequently.

Ditto that except I have the 8GB model.

Bandito

Now that I've mentioned that I rarely hear the fan come on, I had a new instance last night. The SP3 was sitting idle next to me on the start screen displaying all of the live tiles while I did some work on my "other" tablet. After a while, I noticed a faint air whooshing sound and so I checked on the SP3 and it was definitely the source of the sound. The back was very warm and the fan was running. I jumped to the desktop and Task Manager to see what was causing the issue, but there was no CPU activity other than the opening of Task Manger, which was minimal.

I went back to the start screen and left it there for a couple of minutes and it cooled completely down and the fan went off, so I have no idea what it was up to when it got hot. Oh well...

snd_fx

i5 4GB model

Fan does not come on when browsing internet in IE (both metro and desktop) or typing up docs on Word 2013.
I did notice it get a little warm when using Flipboard app, but no fan.
Fan turns on low when I play solitaire and sudoku that were already installed.
Fan turns on med/high when I played World Series of Poker Xbox Live game (Windows Store)
Fan turns on med/high when I played Trine 2 (Steam)
My device has never overheated and shutdown.