What's new

SP3 i7 Fan runs most of the time

mtalinm

the trade-in was a good deal on the SP1 but not the SP2.
Here is the thing, around 2006 Intel unvieled Atom, a chip that was going be cooler and with a very long battery life. And they delivered a very hot chip with a battery life that was the same as in the Pentium M which was the one that the Atom was supposed to replace. The Atom processor achieved what was promised in 2006 around 2013.

it's true, Intel has overpromised such as when the announced the 5Ghz chip in 2000 which never materialized. maybe they are fibbing about the capabilities of the Core M but something tells me that, like the SP1/SP2, the SP3 will be the form-factor innovation and the SP4 will "get it right" with the chip / heat / battery life.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's a system process. I will agree that something is off after the update. Opening task manager to inspect immediately causes CPU usage to go down which in turn makes the fan die down. Not sure what is happening but the behavior is different after the update.
I'm not seeing what you're seeing but if you go the performance tab in Task Manager and launch Resource Monitor ( at bottom of screen) you can get a much more detailed look at what's going on.
On the CPU tab clock the box next to the process to see associated handles and modules. The Disk and Network tabs will show you what processes are using Disk and Network resources.

megatronium

I'm not seeing what you're seeing but if you go the performance tab in Task Manager and launch Resource Monitor ( at bottom of screen) you can get a much more detailed look at what's going on.
On the CPU tab clock the box next to the process to see associated handles and modules. The Disk and Network tabs will show you what processes are using Disk and Network resources.

It's only happened after a processor heavy task that has heated up the i7 SP3 - the fan continues to run well after the system has cooled. Opening task manager shows CPU at 99% for a second or two then it drops down and fan relents also. Weird.

foghat

When you find something that you don't understand, you don't think that can be your fault? Anyway, let me explain: there is a obvious typo: import should be important. I guess you would understand that, right? I said a few things to make a point that fanless or not is not important to SP3.

1. without fan, SP3 can be thinner, but SP3 is already thin.
2. some say fan make noises. I said for 99% users, you will never hear it.
3. I find the vent holes on the edge, which are dedicated for the fan, make SP3 look better than without it.

I can only help this much.

1. Thinner or not, SP3 without a fan would: be lighter, have no moving parts, have better battery life. Not to mention, if there was no need for a fan it would be because the cpu is running cool enough - which would hopefully mean no (or at least less) throttling.

2. The fan is quite quiet, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that more than 1% of users can and do hear it.

3. Could still have vent holes without a fan, maybe they'd help with passive cooling.

ivan99

There is an arrangement - It's called Microsoft Complete.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NO NO NO!! Complete is ONLY an extended Warranty!! It does not allow you an automatic/guarantee to trade-inyour old unit when a newer version comes ou! You did not quite understand my plan!

ivan99

Here is the thing, around 2006 Intel unvieled Atom, a chip that was going be cooler and with a very long battery life. And they delivered a very hot chip with a battery life that was the same as in the Pentium M which was the one that the Atom was supposed to replace. The Atom processor achieved what was promised in 2006 around 2013.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I read all your responses here and I am wondering if you are working for MS! Nothing wrong with that but you seem to take their side on every discussion here andalso you seem to have an "inside info" ahead of anyone else? Dare to explain?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I read all your responses here and I am wondering if you are working for MS! Nothing wrong with that but you seem to take their side on every discussion here andalso you seem to have an "inside info" ahead of anyone else? Dare to explain?
Seems kinds personal... treading on a breach of site rules... what's the point?

He is... so ...
He isn't ... so ...

A diverse community is stronger than one where everyone has the same viewpoint... like a cult.

ivan99

Seems kinds personal... treading on a breach of site rules... what's the point?

He is... so ...
He isn't ... so ...

A diverse community is stronger than one where everyone has the same viewpoint... like a cult.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Again my apologies if I "violated" any forum rules! Just curious if someone has so much "inside" info as to wetherhe is "one of us" or on the MS team. If he is on the MS team that is great for all of us because he is on this site and hopefully relaying info back to MS. That's all I need to say. I'll read the forum rules again before responding from now on.

bluegrass

I'm glad I'm in the 99% that don't hear the fan. I think Frank does a great service here on this forum. Most of us appear to be a little biased towards Microsoft and the Surface. It's pretty natural when you have invested a great deal of money on the Surface.

I like to offer some help when I can, a little dry humor, stay positive, and absorb good info, and ask for help when I need it. Frankly, I've learned a lot using this forum. Something I think would be interesting to find out in a thread someday is how much time do you average on this forum each day.

Zog1971

It's only happened after a processor heavy task that has heated up the i7 SP3 - the fan continues to run well after the system has cooled. Opening task manager shows CPU at 99% for a second or two then it drops down and fan relents also. Weird.

I am 100% experiencing this same issue. I can leave the unit sitting with nothing else running, 0-1% CPU usage and it is nice and cool. The first time it happened I was sitting working on my desktop with it right beside me. I heard the fan come on, felt it and sure enough it was very warm. Opening task manager showed everything at 0-1% as usual and after about 2 minutes the fan went off and the unit was cool again. I decided to leave the task manager up and see what processes were running. After about 15 minutes of it sitting idle, I heard the fan come on again. The CPU was going between 35-50% usage. As soon as I move the cursor, usage went back down to 1%, within minutes the unit cooled and fan went off. It was hard to try and pinpoint what processes were causing since they seemed to quit as soon as you moved the mouse to try to scroll through the processes. I was able to see at least at one point that AntiMalware Service Executable was using 30% so wondering if this has something to do with Defender scanning. It is so weird though how it stops as soon as you touch the screen, touchpad, or keyboard and it shows activity from you. Very weird. I have it plugged in now and am going to just let it run and see if it stops without me touching something.

Zog1971

So, after spending a few hours watching and playing with this, I can say that Windows Defender was making my system run hot while idle. I actually posted another thread about it, but wondering if it is affecting more than just me. After I posted the above post, I did indeed let it run without moving the mouse and stoping the AntiMalware Service Executable from running. It just kept running even after 45 minutes keeping my CPU at 35% and 3.0ghz with the fan on turbo. Turning off real time protection in WD did nothing. As soon as it would sit for a few minutes doing nothing, WD would peak the processes again. Finally, turned off Windows Defender and the system is now cool and quiet while sitting idle--as it should be! Not sure what this was all about, but I'm using free AV now and very happy with my cool and quiet SP3.