What's new

SP3 now 2.5 years old - growing list of problems

Paranoidandro1d

Hi All,

My SP3 is now 2.5 years old and out of warranty. I had a few problems at the two year mark that I sorted by handing my device in for repair. Since then however my SP3 has been steadily building up a list of problems;

1) Complete system freeze - no response from system whatsoever - frequent but random timings - nothing has solved this. Not even a complete OS reinstall.
2) CPU fan bearing making very loud noises when unit not in perfectly upright position (i.e in hand)
3) The screen is separating from the unit around the camera - like the glue holding the screen is failing
4) The headphone jack just stopped working..

Given it's large cost I look after my SP3 like a newborn - I can think of no plausible reason for the faults above other than a problem in the manufacture of my unit. The problem is however that I can't even correspond with Microsoft about any of the above issues because I'm 'now on my own' without warranty cover. I don't consider that I should be paying for repairs of the above issues too - the unit isn't that old. I'm bitterly disappointed that all of these problems are manifesting themselves so soon in the products life and I have to say that as a result I'm going to avoid SP's in the future. I've paid too much money to have to put up with this. There are now loads of reputable 'convertible' SP-like devices out that don't have the price mark-up of the SP range and probably don't have these poor build quality traits. Does anyone else have this experience?

Dean

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why can't you talk to Microsoft? I'm out of warranty on all my devices, yet happily spoke with them on live chat just a couple of weeks ago

OP
P

Paranoidandro1d

I've tried to say to Microsoft that I consider these problems manufacturing related as they are - the replacement unit is only 6 months old - there should NO problems with it. Instead the best they'll do for me is ask for 592 pounds and a trade in of my SP3 for the similar-ish spec SP4. The audacity of it!

I think its ridiculous that after 2.5 yrs of ownership that I should be in this situation. I shouldn't have had to use the extended warranty to cover faults with the unit so soon in the first place. Remember that the extended warranty cost quite a lot too.

That's the last SP device I'm ever going to buy.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately, name any company, and any product, and faults will occur. That's just life, as unpleasant as it can be if it is your own device that goes pear shaped. My sp3 was bought on launch, and to this day is just great. Companies are under no obligation to do a thing once warranty has run out, that's why you have the ability to buy warranties for your electronics if you don't feel like taking the risk.

kesgreen

Companies are under no obligation to do a thing once warranty has run out.

That really depends where you bought the product. In the UK, you have up to six years. The goods have to last a 'reasonable' time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That really depends where you bought the product. In the UK, you have up to six years. The goods have to last a 'reasonable' time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I was aware that something like that existed, but wasn't aware that it was incorporated into law. I was just aware of the EU legislation offering 2 years, but that the user has to prove it is a manufacturing defect or such. In that case, it would definately be an idea for @Paranoidandro1d to research that and contact microsoft regarding it. That is of course if paranoidandroid is from the UK, he mentions pounds, but his IP suggests otherwise.

Do you by any chance know how it works given that this is a replacement machine. I.e it wouldn't seem to make sense for the replacement to be considered 2.5 years old based on the original purchase date (even if they don't give a replacement a new 1 year warranty). Maybe MS get around that by only providing refurbs so you can't claim the machine is new.