What's new

Solved SP3 pen eraser button... plus reset problems!

AJrANTZ

First of all, this forum has been great learning new tricks and what my new SP3 is capable of, and has been a great resource as I am learning how to use this beast!

However, I bought an SP3 for school as the handwriting and note taking capabilities on oneNote seemed to be unmatched. Naturally the pen that came with the SP3 was a tool I was excited about, but it is not working right. Here is everything I have gone through:

The pen works for writing, and both buttons on the side work great. When I pair the pen, I push the eraser button for 7 seconds and the led lights up as it should, and syncs to the SP3. From everything I read, it is performing properly. But when I push the eraser button it does not work with one note. No new page, no double click for screen shot. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the oneNote app, and desktop version with no success. I have updated any and all updates. I have gone through Microsofts trouble shooting. Nothing works.

NOW. I decided to reset to factory settings, and reinstall windows 8.1. but it says its missing files to do so. I followed the directions to make a reboot usb from the troubleshooting website, and when I go to boot from that it says it is not a correct device.

I feel as though this SP3 is just not quite right.. and have no clue what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

ctitanic

Be sure to install this driver

upload_2014-9-17_16-28-0.png

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

OP
A

AJrANTZ

That's what I decided as well, but I cannot refresh the computer. When I do it says I am missing files, and cannot be refreshed.

I downloaded the .zip recovery file on Microsoft.com, and put it on a USB drive. However, it is saying it is not a correct media.

OP
A

AJrANTZ

Ok, I finally got it to work! I will post my solution for anyone who may experience the same problem.

I think the install was not complete, and I decided to do a full reset. I got the message "Insert media: Some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files" This made it impossible to reset my SP3.

On Microsoft.com they recommended making a reboot USB, however it was difficult to figure out since I did not have the recovery partition. So here's exactly what to do:
- Get a USB of 8GB or larger.
- Plug your USB into your SP and Format to a FAT32.
- Go to this website : "https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage" and download the zip file for your device either on your SP or another PC (NOT ONTO THE USB THUMB DRIVE) .
- Once downloaded (roughly 6.3GB for the SP3) you will have to unzip the file on your surface or PC.
- The contents will be files with names similar to "ei-ei, fi-fi, ect"
-Place these contents directly to the USB. ***DO NOT PLACE THEM IN ANOTHER FOLDER!!**
**This is where I had an error saying "incorrect media" because I had a single folder with all the contents, and moved that onto the USB thumb drive. Only have the contents on the USB and it will work.
- Now go to recovery and select "advanced start-up" Then reset by USB thumb drive.

Once I did everything EXACTLY this way, it finally was able to read the USB and reset the Surface. Once it was back to factory settings the pen is now working perfectly, and its running better than before!

I am VERY HAPPY! Thanks for any help!