What's new

SP3 Power Options in Windows 8 - Where did they go?

stonerwinst

I noticed many of the power options are no longer available like they did in SP1. For example the Processor Power Management, PCI Express, etc. My Hyper-V is turned off. Is this a new thing in the SP3 due to the connected-standby/instantGo features? I would like the option to set the processor to not exceed 50% to keep it from boosting to conserve battery when I don't need to horsepower.

These are the only options I see. Thanks for the help.

Knuck

The SP3 is configured with "connected standby" which is a feature that wakes the device quickly. You no longer have access to all of the power options by default. To get these back you can activate Hyper-V. To do this run a program called appwiz.cpl and choose "turn windows features on or off" which can be found on the left side of the screen. Check the box beside hyper-v and restart when prompted. You now have all the power options. There are pros and cons to hyper-v with the SP3. I suggest you search it to decide if it is right for you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw some posts related to this elsewhere, some indicated they got an overtemp warning and shutdown ... perhaps that's reason why they aren't options.

Knuck

I saw some posts related to this elsewhere, some indicated they got an overtemp warning and shutdown ... perhaps that's reason why they aren't options.

I received that warning on my i7 during the initial windows update without hyper-v installed so this is not necessarily related to hyper-v. I ran hyper-v on my i5 with no issue. I am currently running it on my i7. So far so good.