What's new

SP3: problems with touchscreen and pen

Since 2 weeks i have problems with the touchscreen and pen on my SP3.

I have installed the latest updates, reset the calibration, calibrate the touchscreen and pen again but still got problems. The touchscreen is not working on the left upper area, scrolling with my fingers works but if i click on an icon on the desktop in this area it is not working. It is just like there is an invisible layer on the screen..

Also i see sometimes a strange rectangle on the screen (see screenshot) with a second cursor in it, if i click on it it changes in a dot (about 2 centimeters big).
When the screen is locked and want to swipe the image to login the image disappear real slowly to the top.

I think i have to reinstall Windows but maybe there is an other way to fix this?
Thanks!

Attachments

• bug-windows.jpg
    bug-windows.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 635
  • bug-windows.jpg
    bug-windows.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 570
  • BUG-SURFACE-SPOT.jpg
    BUG-SURFACE-SPOT.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 550

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try the 2 Button Start-up, Shut the SP3 completely down...now with the Volume Rocker Up pressed, press the Power Button (keeping the Volume Rocker Up Pressed), when the Surface Logo comes up, let go of the Volume Rocker, exit without making changes.

Now once you are back in, Reset the Calibration and not try to re-calibrate, if that doesn't work you may have a digitizer that is going out, at that point request an exchange.

OP
Rene van de Peppel

Rene van de Peppel

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, i did now but still the same problem
In the BIOS i can not move the mouse (with my finger) on the same area, so i think the digitizer is not working and i need an exchange..
Not happy with that.. :(

dstrauss

HELP!

Latest (January) firmware update applied and things were ok for a week - now the dreaded pen problems have randomly returned:
  • sometimes just quits writing (requiring restart)
  • ink vectoring or strange little squiggles
  • lays down ink without even touching screen (pen tip a few mm above screen)
WHAT THE HECK IS POSESSING MY SPRO 3? OMG - it's acting like my HP Slate 500 all over again!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
HELP!

Latest (January) firmware update applied and things were ok for a week - now the dreaded pen problems have randomly returned:
WHAT THE HECK IS POSESSING MY SPRO 3? OMG - it's acting like my HP Slate 500 all over again!
Have you tried the Battery Trick and/or replaced the battery in the pen?

dstrauss

Have you tried the Battery Trick and/or replaced the battery in the pen?

Battery Trick? I'll look that up. However, it started working correctly for a while after a retart, it happened again this morning in the middle of a simple 10 minute telephone conference.

WAIT - you're kidding, right? When I searched "Battery Trick" it said the HTC N-Trig's weren't working because the batteries were in backwards - my pen has been in use for months so i know it's not in backwards????? Did replace battery, however, so will see if that helps.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Battery Trick? I'll look that up. However, it started working correctly for a while after a retart, it happened again this morning in the middle of a simple 10 minute telephone conference.

WAIT - you're kidding, right? When I searched "Battery Trick" it said the HTC N-Trig's weren't working because the batteries were in backwards - my pen has been in use for months so i know it's not in backwards????? Did replace battery, however, so will see if that helps.
Sorry - the Battery Trick I'm referring to is removing the battery completely from the Pen causes the pen to reset (also the symptoms can point to a weak battery)

puch0021

HELP!

I have these exact same problems. It's so frustrating. Only thing that solves it is a temporary removal of the battery. I wish there was a better fix however