What's new

SP3 Reviews

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

I read the Engadget review... A little disappointing but at least the main negative from it was just the keyboard... Since you can use any Bluetooth or USB keyboard with it as long as you have a desk or table to set it on I don't see it as a deal breaker.

EMINENT

I read the Engadget review... A little disappointing but at least the main negative from it was just the keyboard... Since you can use any Bluetooth or USB keyboard with it as long as you have a desk or table to set it on I don't see it as a deal breaker.

Yeah, some of the negative points, while valid, are irrelevant to me.

This device was meant for pure mobility. If I was a journalist or student with no desk and had to type for hours on end on my lap, i'd consider their points, but i'll use it in my lap about 5% of the time. I love the Surface concept in that if I were in that profession, i'd have the keyboard at any time I needed it, and when i'm done working, I could detach both figuratively and literally from work and go into tablet mode.

This is completely beyond some people. It's sad really that they don't get it.

If it doesn't work for you, just skip by it. Just like i'll do for any laptop and mobile os tablet.

Last edited:

TPadden

Yeah, some of the negative points, while valid, are irrelevant to me...... If I was a journalist or student with no desk and had to type for hours on end on my lap, i'd consider their points.......
I'd get a power cover. It amazes me how much better the "heavy" power cover is to type with on my lap. It really is a typing improvement, even without keyboard lighting.

thegrinch

Yeah, some of the negative points, while valid, are irrelevant to me.

This device was meant for pure mobility. If I was a journalist or student with no desk and had to type for hours on end on my lap, i'd consider their points, but i'll use it in my lap about 5% of the time. I love the Surface concept in that if I were in that profession, i'd have the keyboard at any time I needed it, and when i'm done working, I could detach both figuratively and literally from work and go into tablet mode.

This is completely beyond some people. It's sad really that they don't get it.

If it doesn't work for you, just skip by it. Just like i'll do for any laptop and mobile os tablet.

This 100%! Any real work I need to do that requires the keyboard for an extended amount of time, I'll most likely have the Surface docked somewhere and use an attached KB/mouse. I honestly didn't have any major gripes on the surface 2 type cover either, outside the mouse pad. Truthfully, I used the type cover maybe twice and really didn't need it much before I returned my SP2 (was returning anyways for a stuck pixel I couldn't ignore and figured I'd wait it out for SP3); loved the SP2 when I had it though.

I'm really, really curious how I'll like the new size in person. Will I get annoyed after a while or will really enjoy it? Time will tell - been using my wife's ipad mini and I don't hate the form factor (not a fan of ios whatsoever though).

CrazyT

As a developer, I don't really put much emphasis on tech journalist reviews. Yes, I still read them but really only to get battery life comparison between the various laptops/tablets available in the market.

I still remember reading one review where the reviewer dock points from the laptop for including the "useless" Home and End buttons and that it was just taking up space. Err, those buttons are essential to all developers! Just because YOU don't use it doesn't mean it's not being used by others. It's a classic example of how "tech journalist" don't understand a feature and list it as a negative.