What's new

SP3 Static sounds when using earphones

Veridis

Hello everyone, I got a i5/256 version of the SP3 and it is awesome.

Recently I've been using earphones with it, and I find that if no audio is being played, there will be a "farting" static sound that keeps playing if the earphones are left connected. Anyone else heard this?

olimjj

Hello everyone, I got a i5/256 version of the SP3 and it is awesome.

Recently I've been using earphones with it, and I find that if no audio is being played, there will be a "farting" static sound that keeps playing if the earphones are left connected. Anyone else heard this?
Farts yes, but not through earphones.

guymalloc

Had the same on my SP1 when I use it with kickstand, typecover and bluetooth mouse. I think its static discharge bleeding out to the earphones. If I'm using it as a tablet in my hands, never have the problem, likewise if it's docked with power connected. I think it just needs to bleed static buildup, better through the earphones than the processor or ssd.....

OP
V

Veridis

I'm still hearing it.. It the static sounds seems to come a while after audio stops playing.

Maybe the audio device is being turned off to save power?

I've been trying to Google more on this issue and it seems there isn't many people talking about this.

khit

I too hear this now on the replacement SP3 I just received... it'll be a small popping coming from the earphones. I tend to notice it more when I'm moving the track pad or about to press a key. It's slight but it's there and I'm not sure how to solve it.

OP
V

Veridis

I tried testing on the SP3 I bought for my mother. I played a video on earphones, paused it, and waited for 1min. The popping sound appeared.

wynand32

I had that on mine as well. I updated to the latest Realtek drivers and the issue's mostly gone away.

OP
V

Veridis

I tried updating to HD Realtek drivers by first going to Device Manager and uninstalling the driver, then installing the Realtek drivers but the popping is still there.

I did this multiple times to be sure. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

fifl

I have had that sound on all my computers, so I bought earphones with audiocontrol on them. Then I just take the audio level down to the lowest on the earphones and a little higher on the computer, solves the problem every time.

khit

only issue with that approach is that my first surface pro 3 did not have any audio popping at all, neither does my SP1. I did a refresh last week to see if it would help and no dice.

wynand32

I tried updating to HD Realtek drivers by first going to Device Manager and uninstalling the driver, then installing the Realtek drivers but the popping is still there.

I did this multiple times to be sure. Am I missing something?

Not really sure. Might be that we had different issues that just seemed the same, which is why the newer Realtek drivers fixed my issue and not yours.