What's new

SP3 vs SP4

OP
J

Johnny365

What is also intriguing is that from a few sources, I hear that the ram is expandable in the SP4? Does that mean the back plate can be removed?

BearFlag

I played with the SP4 at my local MS store for a few minutes, and might be only one that thought that the device itself was not significantly different. Note that my testing does not involve battery life or processing speed.

The biggest thing is that I didn't notice a huge difference in appearance or screen quality. 0.3 inches did not make a difference to me. I thought they could have easily packed more screen into the frame. It was a little thiner and lighter but again nothing notable.

The biggest improvement to be was the keyboard and touchpad. It made a huge difference, but I can buy that for my SP3.

I think if someone was buying a SP for the first time, they would be very impressed with the SP4 but for someone that has a SP3 I don't think the device itself (not keyboard) is a huge improvement.

macmee

does it have a fan? Will it suffer the same heating issues the Sp3 suffers from?

These are the most important things IMO

BearFlag

does it have a fan? Will it suffer the same heating issues the Sp3 suffers from?

I couldn't test that in the 3min I played with it obviously. While my SP3 does have heating issues at times, it's not terrible IMO.

Dim-Ize

I thought the SP4, aside from the entry version M, has a fan. Does it not?

What I meant to imply with my comment was I am interested in how the new generation of CPU performs under load within virtually the same footprint as the SP3.