What's new

SP3 won't turn on

rastheberry

Hi... so I've had my surface pro 3 for a while, and the other day I went to turn it on and it wouldn't come on. I googled it and after 5 or 10 attempts at the force restart it came on. The next day it shut off again, and I haven't been able to get it back on since. I've tried everything, and I don't want lose the information on this computer.
Also, I plugged it in and the battery light is on, so I don't think it's the battery.
(sorry if this is already a thread, I couldn't find one)

DanCraig

Yesterday I was unable to wake up my SP3 despite trying all the power button combinations to get it to force shutdown and restart. This morning I thought I'd plug in the USB charger for my Fitbit and it powered back on and has been fine ever since. There seems to be a lot of problems with it waking from sleep or hibernation mode. It's been termed the 'sleep of death'. Lots of info if you search for it.

Was thinking it was doomed as I had the same problem last year which Microsoft replaced under warranty deeming it a faulty battery but I don't think they really knew. Apparently models from 2015 were a bit faulty. There is a 'use at your own risk' method out there on the net you could try which people have had success in getting to power on to get their data off. I won't write it here - not sure if you can message me and I can pass the method on.