What's new

SP4 and Windows 10 ...MS read and FIX!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman27

This is a RANT, so please don't read below this line if you don't want to hear about issues with the SP4.

With over 20+ years in the IT field, I have NEVER experienced as many problems as I have with the combination of the SP4 and Windows 10 !

With many of us spending $1700+ for the new SP4, it is ridiculous that we have to troubleshoot and put up with VERY frequent Blue screens, all browsers completely locking the SP4 and overall buggy operation.

With so many people having so many problems, it seems as if the Combo (SP4+Win 10) was not tested in even the basic sense.

The media deserves to jump all over this as another Vista fail.

I've had to look up so many different errors shown on the Blue screens that I just want to take this product back. It's embarrassing to try to do work with coworkers or friends and have to tell them to hold on because your system COMPLETELY locked up or a blue screen is rebooting your system.

with system restores, formatting, running updates, reading this forum and others, I'm at my wits end and plain tired trying to use this device for it's intended purpose.

Microsoft, this is YOUR forum ,read some of these comments and put a dedicated team on the problem ASAP.

Your loyal customers are getting hammered trying to justify this travesty.

Afy

I agree that MS needs to fix the issues post haste.
Yes MS has issued an apology and promise that fixes are imminent. Whatever that might mean. One should not have these issues, but unfortunately these are all too common with MS.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a RANT, so please don't read below this line if you don't want to hear about issues with the SP4.

With over 20+ years in the IT field, I have NEVER experienced as many problems as I have with the combination of the SP4 and Windows 10 !

With many of us spending $1700+ for the new SP4, it is ridiculous that we have to troubleshoot and put up with VERY frequent Blue screens, all browsers completely locking the SP4 and overall buggy operation.

With so many people having so many problems, it seems as if the Combo (SP4+Win 10) was not tested in even the basic sense.

The media deserves to jump all over this as another Vista fail.

I've had to look up so many different errors shown on the Blue screens that I just want to take this product back. It's embarrassing to try to do work with coworkers or friends and have to tell them to hold on because your system COMPLETELY locked up or a blue screen is rebooting your system.

with system restores, formatting, running updates, reading this forum and others, I'm at my wits end and plain tired trying to use this device for it's intended purpose.

Microsoft, this is YOUR forum ,read some of these comments and put a dedicated team on the problem ASAP.

Your loyal customers are getting hammered trying to justify this travesty.
Actually this is NOT an Official Microsoft Forum, rather it's a Community Forum dedicated to the Microsoft Surface.

The official Microsoft Forum is over here:
A Note to Our Customers from The Microsoft Surface Team

Great to know and thanks for the link.
I will take the rant to that location as well.
I've had two blue screens since reading the two comments on this forum .
Incredible.

The SP4 makes me a little sad. The hardware is pretty much perfectly designed, the software feels like it's out of the late 90's. Windows 10 is both my favourite and most hated windows experience yet (I actually found Vista to not be that bad, and I find windows 10 hangs a device or crashes more than any OS since windows XP, maybe even windows 98). When it works, windows 10 does so much right. But it feels like its in a beta still, and on the surface pro 4, an alpha build. Still, I have to say despite my many many problems (inc black screens, and the device being unresponsive) I have not had a blue screen on my second SP4 yet. My heart goes out to you. January's updates can't come soon enough!

leeshor

While I understand that a lot of people are having serious operational issues with their SP4s I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm now directly supporting 5 SP4s, (1 is mine), and not a one is having any problems. I keep asking and they keep telling me it's running great.

Just spoke with one user this morning and he was asking about extending the battery life so I gave him a few pointers but he said he was already getting over 5 hours. While I'm getting more than that on average I told him my suggestions would help some. His is an i5/8/256 the others are i5/4/128

raqball

I've been pretty lucky so far as I've not had all the problems that I see others posting about..

For those with the issues it must be maddening!

I've never once had a blue screen and after the recent updates I've not had any display driver crashes.

My only issues at the moment are relatively minor. Every so often when coming out of sleep with the KB attached, the KB and trackpad are unresponsive. I press the power button to turn the screen off and press it again to wake and the issue goes away.

My only other issue is with some of the MS apps. News, sports and weather sometimes open and just display a blank screen. Closing and reopening app solves the issue.

I hope for those with the issues that they get resolved quickly as I can only imagine it must be a pain in the rear!

OP
D

dman27

While I understand that a lot of people are having serious operational issues with their SP4s I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm now directly supporting 5 SP4s, (1 is mine), and not a one is having any problems. I keep asking and they keep telling me it's running great.

Just spoke with one user this morning and he was asking about extending the battery life so I gave him a few pointers but he said he was already getting over 5 hours. While I'm getting more than that on average I told him my suggestions would help some. His is an i5/8/256 the others are i5/4/128
Interesting. Other than installing the same software that was on my SP3, there are no changes other than the windows 10 install.

It makes me want to go back to windows 8.1. Can this be installed on the SP4?

Revolution

I was really satisfied with my Surface 2 RT and my Surface 3 pro. God i miss those stable devices after almost one month of trouble with the Surface Pro4. I am completly done with it.

The display driver is constantly crashing (also after the 12/7 update) so i using my 4 year old HP ProBook again.

I am truly dissapointed in this product. Maybe you can expect this from a 25o euro notebook but these troubles for a 1300 euro device is unacceptable!!

I bought a premium device for quality, not for this rubbish

Philtastic

Sounds like you're having hardware issues since I also had some issues at launch but it turns out that was from a faulty unit where the keyboard port died. With my exchange unit, I have had basically zero issues other than the known display driver crash... which hasn't happened to me in at least a week or two now, now that I think about it.

I recommend that you get an exchange done and see how a new unit performs.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other than power drain, not a single issue here :) Not one blue screen, not one driver crash, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.