What's new

SP4 Arriving Soon : What must I get, what must I do?

fatenrafie

Hi,

Greetings from Penang, Malaysia. After years of depending on my smart phone as my mobile device, I've finally decided to get myself a Microsoft Surface. I am expecting delivery of my very first Surface any day now, an SP4 - i5 4G/128G which I'll be using to run my online spice business.

I am not familiar with the device, haven't used any tablet since a short stint with a Samsung Original Tab, I have tonnes of questions to make my migration to Surface a smooth one.

So here goes.

1. I notice that SP4 has only one USB 3.0 and I'm planning to connect a 2T portable HDD and possibly use a mouse at the same time. I was thinking of getting a Microsoft Arc Touch Surface Edition Bluetooth Mouse if it'll allow me not to require a USB hub for my external HDD. Does the non-Surface edition with Bluetooth 4.0 work the same? Any other mouse suggestions? Especially the kind that does not require additional USB ports.

2. If I do need a USB hub, will I need a powered hub to connect my external HDD?

3. Can someone explain to me of the use of the the ports? Mini DisplayPort (connecting to external display?), Cover port, and SurfaceConnect™ (charging?) ?

4. What will be the things I should do upon receiving the SP4? What update must I do? And should I do any backup before that? What's the best way to do that?

I believe most of you are quite an expert by now and I really appreciate your suggestions, ideas and feedback.

Thanks and have a great week.

Yillbs

Hi,

Greetings from Penang, Malaysia. After years of depending on my smart phone as my mobile device, I've finally decided to get myself a Microsoft Surface. I am expecting delivery of my very first Surface any day now, an SP4 - i5 4G/128G which I'll be using to run my online spice business.

I am not familiar with the device, haven't used any tablet since a short stint with a Samsung Original Tab, I have tonnes of questions to make my migration to Surface a smooth one.

So here goes.

1. I notice that SP4 has only one USB 3.0 and I'm planning to connect a 2T portable HDD and possibly use a mouse at the same time. I was thinking of getting a Microsoft Arc Touch Surface Edition Bluetooth Mouse if it'll allow me not to require a USB hub for my external HDD. Does the non-Surface edition with Bluetooth 4.0 work the same? Any other mouse suggestions? Especially the kind that does not require additional USB ports.

2. If I do need a USB hub, will I need a powered hub to connect my external HDD?

3. Can someone explain to me of the use of the the ports? Mini DisplayPort (connecting to external display?), Cover port, and SurfaceConnect™ (charging?) ?

4. What will be the things I should do upon receiving the SP4? What update must I do? And should I do any backup before that? What's the best way to do that?

I believe most of you are quite an expert by now and I really appreciate your suggestions, ideas and feedback.

Thanks and have a great week.

Answered inline :

1. For the mouse, I suggest this : http://www.amazon.com/Dell-WM615-Bluetooth-Mouse/dp/B00W77BKEY it'll do the same thing, and functions the same way. It works great with the surface, and does not require a USB to run. However, a USB hub will solve that if you do need a USB mouse.

2. An external hard drive comes in many flavors. I have a non powered USB hub hooked up to mine, which i then hook up a non powered usb 1TB external drive for backups. It works fine.

3. What do you need to know about the ports? A mini display port is exactly what it sounds like, it's a mini display port. i'd get a mini display to HDMI if you want to connect to an HDMI monitor. The cover port, i'm not sure what you're referencing, but I presume you mean the port the keyboard connects to. THat's all it's used for at the moment. The surface connect port, I presume you mean the charger, and it's used for charging.

4. do all of the standard software / firmware updates using windows update manager, this is important. you'll also want to check for light bleed. Many people will have you believe you're 1k dollar device should have light bleed, but they are just ignorant. Many, many , many competitors do not have the light bleed the surface pro line has ( xps comes to mind ), you'll notice when it first boots up if that's the case. Youll also want to go ahead and setup your wireless printers if you have any, as well as install the one month trial of office, office is important.

Enjoy your new SP4!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a note on the HDD and Powered USB Hub. The Surface USB port provides a max of 900ma of power so if the HDD needs more than 900ma it will likely just spin up and down and not be useable. A powered USB would fix that. Some drives will work fine and others need more power so if it happens you'll be aware.

Yillbs