What's new

SP4 bulging screen, overheating battery

Unbridled4

....and NO support from So, on July 30 I called Microsoft about my screen bulging out due to the battery expanding and overheating. They told me to stop using it, and that they would send me a prepaid box for return and replacement. This must be a well-known issue, as they seemed eager to address and resolve the matter. I wiped the unit on August 5, shipped it on August 6, and it was received on August 13. Here is the breakdown of what happened next: August 14 call, to follow up. I was told the replacement had already been sent out, but they didn't have a tracking number since it hadn't yet been generated by the shipper. August 16 call: I was told that it hadn't been shipped, but it would soon be ready to go. I was told that Surface Pro 4s were in short supply, but they would provide a 5/whatever they call the newer one, so as not to create a delay. I'd have a tracking number by the end of the week. August 18 call: I was placed on hold while the guy checked with the...safety department? He came back shortly and said I'd have a tracking number the next business day, Monday. He also reiterated that if it wasn't a Surface Pro 4 it would be the newer version, so as to not create a delay. He wasn't sure what would ship, and I told him I didn't care...I just wanted a working computer. August 20 call: I was told it hadn't shipped, they didn't know when it was going to ship, and the guy said he would escalate it to the Rapid Response Team. Estimated response time: 24-48 hours. August 21 call 1: Again told no ship date was available. Spoke to manager Gary T, who said he would escalate it to the Rapid Response Team. I told him that had already been done. RRT estimated response time: 24-48 hours. August 21 call 2: spoke to Winston V, who said he would continue to try to reach the RRT until the end of his shift (1am EDT) with repeated emails. August 22: Spoke with Francisco B, who refused to give me an employee # or alias. He reiterated "it's with the RRT...all we can do is wait". Spoke with his supervisor, Roy, who initially said he couldn't give me a last initial and employee # or alias. I said that was simply not true, as I had that info on multiple other employees. He finally relented and gave me his last initial R, but still would not provide me with an employee # or alias. Again he said "all we can do is wait". He stated that the RRT response time was "2 to 3 days". 3 days is rapid???!!!? Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm trying to be thorough. Bear in mind each call takes between 30 and 60 minutes. I still have zero resolution. The "rapid response team" should more accurately be called the "no response team". It's seven business days after receipt of my computer and nobody can tell me when a replacement will ship. Microsoft has NEVER contacted me...phone, text, email...NOTHING. I also told multiple reps (named above) that I have an extended warranty on this computer. I need a letter from Microsoft saying it is not a repairable defect, the unit must be replaced, and the warranty provider will just cut me a check. I can walk into Best Buy or whatever and have a replacement computer NOW, no wait needed. Nobody will write that letter. They just keep repeating "all we can do is wait". If you were contemplating a Surface Pro, RUN. Do NOT get wrapped up in this nightmare lurking down the road. I'm closing in on A MONTH with no resolution in sight. Microsoft: Never again. Never, never again.

If anyone has any tips for me, I certainly would appreciate it. .

Plantje

Just wanted to let you know that I understand that you're frustrated. And that I don't recognize this as typical Microsoft support behavior

OP
U

Unbridled4

Yes. I have had discussions with ten different people on 8 separate phone calls and now three emails and still no resolution. I have an extended warranty, but they require something from Microsoft saying the device is not repairable in order to pay for the replacement, and Microsoft won't do that. I feel utterly powerless.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel your pain. I rarely get good Cs from any company when on the phone, and just get bounced around. I've had a couple of issues with my surface or accessories, and always used the online live chat and always got exceptional service. Have you tried that, or just phone calls?

BTW, from my experiences, their willingness to send out replacement units or accessories didn't in any way seem to stem from it being a known problem, but rather that they just wanted a happy customer.

OP
U

Unbridled4

I feel your pain. I rarely get good Cs from any company when on the phone, and just get bounced around. I've had a couple of issues with my surface or accessories, and always used the online live chat and always got exceptional service. Have you tried that, or just phone calls?

BTW, from my experiences, their willingness to send out replacement units or accessories didn't in any way seem to stem from it being a known problem, but rather that they just wanted a happy customer.
I should give chat a try. It might be painfully slow tapping it out on my phone, but it's better than nothing. Thank you for the suggestion.

BTW, it is a known issue. See Microsoft finally stops screwing Surface Pro 4 owners with flickergate

Hopefully one of these calls, I'll get lucky. Never did hear from the rapid response team escalation, initiated Monday.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't saying your issues isn't one know to Microsoft, although flicker gate seems to be a different issue compared to what you've described. What I meant though, is that I've always had fantastic support (they didn't even ask me to return the faulty accessories or request any firm of proof) and it wasn't due to any widespread issue, it just seemed like they wanted satisfied customers.

Plantje

Same here. Where do you live? I live in the Netherlands. Perhaps you live somewhere where support is not up to the high standards we're used to

OP
U

Unbridled4

Same here. Where do you live? I live in the Netherlands. Perhaps you live somewhere where support is not up to the high standards we're used to
I'm in the USA. I would think this would be an important market for them to support! Another phone call again today, another answer of "it will ship soon......no idea when".

It's become my habit now to document who I have spoken with. My last few calls, the CS agent didn't want to provide a last initial with their name, citing "we are not allowed to give out that information". Only after I rattled off a list of 5 or 6 others' first name, last initial did the CS agents relent and give me the info I needed to document this debacle.

Still no clue when I might see a replacement. Next Thursday will mark one MONTH since I initiated this case.

OP
U

Unbridled4

I wasn't saying your issues isn't one know to Microsoft, although flicker gate seems to be a different issue compared to what you've described. What I meant though, is that I've always had fantastic support (they didn't even ask me to return the faulty accessories or request any firm of proof) and it wasn't due to any widespread issue, it just seemed like they wanted satisfied customers.
You are correct, I did not mention the screen jitter in my initial post. It definitely was part of my problem, and I took video of it before I sent the unit back. The jitter got so bad it was hard to get the mouse to focus on the start button to do a regular shutdown.

Everyone I've spoken to at Microsoft has been courteous, professional, and unable to do anything to help.

Plantje

Let's hope for the best. I've never experienced support as this slow... Sorry we're not able to help