What's new

SP4 CPU Selection

SilverRings

Wanted to ask you all what you think of the selections of CPUs. We've certainly got a good choice. I had the SP1 i5, and that CPU along with the blazzin' fast SSD made for very quick Windows operations.

For my use, I normally use the surface as a 2nd PC for Web, Email, Word (my desktop is used for streaming media through the house and as productivity). If I use the Surface like this, would the Core m3 be my choice?

I have demoed the Atom Surface 3, and noticed that it does hick up here and there. While its not bad, it does bother me. I think this is due to it's flash memory, rather than the SSD type found in the Surface Pro.

I think the Core m3 will be faster than the Atom CPUs, right? But it's slower than the Core i series. The big question is, will the Core m3 SP4 come with an SSD over the flash memory that the Atom S3 has? If so, I could be good with a SP4 Core m3.

Dim-Ize

I think your test on the Surface 3 and your assessment is right on track. Indeed the SP4 base model will outperform the Surface 3. Your thinking is accurate.

One other idea, you may find a heck of a deal on a SP3 in the next few days and be able to get virtually the same performance as the SP4 based upon your usage model but pay a lot less.

Good luck in your decision. Very pleased with MS launch and product line. Definitely introduces some careful consideration for many of us.

OP
S

SilverRings

I always wondered why I had the i5 on the Pro1. Didn't seem like I was using it. The i3 would have been fast enough for what I do. Didn't want an RT for obvious reasons.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears to me that all the SSDs in SP4s are PCIe 3.0 which means they are even more blazing fast than the SP3 SSDs. Yes I would expect even the base model Core m3 SP4 Pro is outfitted with top shelf components and will likely outperform the base model Core i3 SP3 and the poor old S3 Atom with eMMC storage will be pulling up the rear in a showdown with SP4s comparatively. The S3 will hold it's own against last years crop of consumer tablets but it's in a different class entirely. Non-Pro vs Pro.

All subject to verification once actual systems get into the hands of proper performance evaluators. :)

bluegrass

But will it replace the Surface Book (laptop) since it's advertised to replace a laptop like the Book is said to be.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
But will it replace the Surface Book (laptop) since it's advertised to replace a laptop like the Book is said to be.
Of course not.
The Tablet that will replace your laptop is aimed at most laptops/ultrabooks (typical MacBook Air or less) which aren't that great frankly. This is a true statement IF it replaces the set of some laptops. It's not the case that it should replace EVERY laptop in existence or that will EVER exist, that's just silly.

OP
S

SilverRings

It appears to me that all the SSDs in SP4s are PCIe 3.0 which means they are even more blazing fast than the SP3 SSDs. Yes I would expect even the base model Core m3 SP4 Pro is outfitted with top shelf components and will likely outperform the base model Core i3 SP3 and the poor old S3 Atom with eMMC storage will be pulling up the rear in a showdown with SP4s comparatively. The S3 will hold it's own against last years crop of consumer tablets but it's in a different class entirely. Non-Pro vs Pro.

All subject to verification once actual systems get into the hands of proper performance evaluators. :)

For $899, it better come with an SSD over eMMC... At that price, and since the Core i5 will probably have SSD, I can't see them using eMMC for the Core m3.

jrioux

[QUOTE="SilverRings, post: 139797, member: 22729"
]<snip>I think the Core m3 will be faster than the Atom CPUs, right? But it's slower than the Core i series. The big question is, will the Core m3 SP4 come with an SSD over the flash memory that the Atom S3 has? If so, I could be good with a SP4 Core m3.[/QUOTE]
The Microsoft Ebay store currently has "manufacturer refurbished" SP3's with i3s and keyboards for $689 and i5s w/o keyboards for $799.
New Home items in microsoft store store on eBay!

Sven

The core m3 will punch way above its weight class. And with a 4.5w TDP probably well outlast the others in the battery life stakes as it doesn't require any hybrid cooling. I'm calling this the model to get if you are happy with your current i5 model from last year. The performance will be very similar if not slightly better (Windows 10 optimisations, faster SSD). I expect the SSD performance to be improved as well (128gb model in SP3 is a bit of a let down).