What's new

HowTo SP4 DIY VESA-mounted docking station v2

surfdock

Finally got around to posting my DIY to build the new VESA mounted 3-in-1 dock that fits both the SP3 and SP4. Preserve your Microsoft dock warranty and build an ergonomic workstation with just a few dollars worth of plastic and nuts and bolts:

Surface Pro 4 / Surface Pro 3 – DIY VESA-mounted docking station v2

I built a few more of these and am selling them in kit form at-cost to support the community. I know a lot of people just don't have access to tools like 3D-printers and I'd hate that to be a barrier to folks being able to use their Surface the way they want to. PM me if you'd like to get a kit.

Parts:
01_SP4-dock-Parts.jpg

You place the Surface Connect dock cable into the docking cradle so you can just drop the tablet in without haven't to worry about aligning cables manually:
08_SP4-dock-Surface-Connect-Cable-2.jpg

Works with any VESA mount even this $20 one from MonoPrice/Amazon:
28_SP4-docked-VESA-2-e1476991245918.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice work surfdock! I do wish MS would find a way of developing a kickstand that could work in both orientations.

OP
surfdock

surfdock

Nice work surfdock! I do wish MS would find a way of developing a kickstand that could work in both orientations.

Thanks! A few folks have contacted me about these kits so I'm happy to announce that I'm making them available at-cost for the community. Just PM me for details.

cricket1001

Thanks! A few folks have contacted me about these kits so I'm happy to announce that I'm making them available at-cost for the community. Just PM me for details.

I'm new to tap-a-talk and I don't see how I can follow a thread. I have an old dock for my SP3 so I can't use this device you make. But whenever I do upgrade I want to come back to this thread to get the device.
Btw, I opened your link about your device and replied to it. But I don't see the reply here in the thread. Did you get my reply with questions about the monitor holder (still can't think of correct word) you show in pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
surfdock

surfdock

I'm new to tap-a-talk and I don't see how I can follow a thread. I have an old dock for my SP3 so I can't use this device you make. But whenever I do upgrade I want to come back to this thread to get the device.
Btw, I opened your link about your device and replied to it. But I don't see the reply here in the thread. Did you get my reply with questions about the monitor holder (still can't think of correct word) you show in pics?

Hi Cricket1001,

I replied on the other thread. We also did a conversion for the old clamp-dock but its fairly complex.

Last edited: