What's new

SP4 dock: mini displayport: does it work?

alex_read

Hi everyone,

I've tried several different connector/converter (newly bought) cables to have my TV connected to my SP4 dock now. Every one has worked if I plug it into my SP1 or SP4 directly, but they have all failed to work via the dock.

From a brief search on the net it seems many others are having similar issues & I'm considering returning the dock to get my money back. I just wanted to ask if anyone on here is actually able to use the dock mini display port successfully and if so, what wires/connections are you using please?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Working just fine. I'm using a mDP to mDP cable that came with my monitor.

Are you trying to go mDP -> HDMI?

The one thing to be aware of with the dock is that it can often be the case that you have to go through a process of un-plugging the mDP cable, plugging it bakc in, restarting the surface etc, and only then will the display be identified.

OP
A

alex_read

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I should've mentioned - I'm trying mDP to either VGA or HDMI... sadly my screen has no mDP ... uh ... port!

I'll give those suggestions a try then thanks. I was just wondering if I'd needed some MS shop/approved cable earlier when I posted this thread. Cheers for the advice.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yep - Everyday:

upload_2016-1-27_6-35-0.png

waverlybrian

This is frustrating. I just purchased the new dock because two Dell U2414H monitors would lose connection when daisy chaining every time I wanted to switch to drawing on my SP3. The new doc worked for a while, but lately I come into the office and only one of the two are detected by the SP3. (They are individually plugged into the dock via DP to mDP connectors.) I can tell they are detected by the dock because they blink and then go into power save mode instead of complaining that there is no connection (like they do if I unplug them from the dock). I've tried restarting my SP3; plugging them and unplugging them from the dock; and cycling power on the dock. Sometimes it works and others (e.g. now) nothing I do is getting my SP3 to detect the second monitor. (Again it outputs to the first monitor okay.)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is frustrating. I just purchased the new dock because two Dell U2414H monitors would lose connection when daisy chaining every time I wanted to switch to drawing on my SP3. The new doc worked for a while, but lately I come into the office and only one of the two are detected by the SP3. (They are individually plugged into the dock via DP to mDP connectors.) I can tell they are detected by the dock because they blink and then go into power save mode instead of complaining that there is no connection (like they do if I unplug them from the dock). I've tried restarting my SP3; plugging them and unplugging them from the dock; and cycling power on the dock. Sometimes it works and others (e.g. now) nothing I do is getting my SP3 to detect the second monitor. (Again it outputs to the first monitor okay.)
Windows 10 or 8.1? Sounds like the last Video Driver Update may be causing this....

waverlybrian

Windows 10 or 8.1? Sounds like the last Video Driver Update may be causing this....

Windows 10 with all the latest updates. Also it's now happened two days in a row that I come in and neither monitor is detected. Sometimes restarting the SP3 fixes it and the other time, I unplugged the monitors' power.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 with all the latest updates. Also it's now happened two days in a row that I come in and neither monitor is detected. Sometimes restarting the SP3 fixes it and the other time, I unplugged the monitors' power.
You can try the Intel reference driver, download the zipped version directly from Intel and manually install it, we have many threads that will walk you through the process.

waverlybrian

You can try the Intel reference driver, download the zipped version directly from Intel and manually install it, we have many threads that will walk you through the process.

Thanks. Could you post a link?

FYI: This morning I got the same behavior (no output to the screens), but when I tried to restart, I got the BSOD. Even better, a colleague was watching because he wanted to see the Surface output to multiple screens. He now will probably stay away from the Surface line, so MS has definitively lost a customer today due to their ongoing glitches.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Could you post a link?

FYI: This morning I got the same behavior (no output to the screens), but when I tried to restart, I got the BSOD. Even better, a colleague was watching because he wanted to see the Surface output to multiple screens. He now will probably stay away from the Surface line, so MS has definitively lost a customer today due to their ongoing glitches.
Use cautiously:

Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]