What's new

SP4 gaming performance videos

masterpace

I'm reporting back. Sorry for the delay, but custom clearance was delayed and such. So, I did benchmarked some games. Unfortunately, I haven't recorded them. Overall, I'm quite surprised about josher14 gaming videos. Although I haven't tried the same games as him, I've tested games with lower requirements with FRAPS in the background. I've run my games at 1280x800 with medium to high settings with disabled aliasing (btw, I haven't noticed much performance difference between medium and high):

-Assassin's Creed Revelations & Assassin's Creed 3: 25 fps
-Bulletstorm: 35 fps
-Wolfenstein the old blood: 15 fps (lowest settings)

Basically, we're a far cry from any useful "casual" gaming performance. I already have a SP3 and my Razer Blade is destroying the SP4. So, I guess I'm going to keep the SP3 and the Blade. SP4 doesn't offer any real life boost for gaming over SP3.

Foehammer

Would it be possible to play Star Citizen or the single player game of star citizen (squadron 42) on a SP4 with intel i5, 8Gb ram?

Seen some vid on some dude playing Arena Commander (not full star citizen) on an SP3.

What are people's GUESSES on playing Halo 5? (If it would be relesed for PC)

I am fully aware that the games mentioned above (as of yet) does not have any known system requirements, that Star Citizen's requirements are subject to change. And of course low settings are acceptable fore me. ^^

I'm not a gamer, it's not why i'm buying my Surface for. But if it works then great, just a handfull of games i am interested in anyway.

macmee

Would it be possible to play Star Citizen or the single player game of star citizen (squadron 42) on a SP4 with intel i5, 8Gb ram?

Seen some vid on some dude playing Arena Commander (not full star citizen) on an SP3.

What are people's GUESSES on playing Halo 5? (If it would be relesed for PC)

I am fully aware that the games mentioned above (as of yet) does not have any known system requirements, that Star Citizen's requirements are subject to change. And of course low settings are acceptable fore me. ^^

I'm not a gamer, it's not why i'm buying my Surface for. But if it works then great, just a handfull of games i am interested in anyway.
probably would run on minimal gfx. Where are you going to get 100GB of space though :p

macmee

Could you load games on an external USB SSD?
you can but the trick is finding something with decent bandwidth. I really wish these guys had thunderbolt ports. I can access my internal macbook SSD from my imac with almost the same speed as on the macbook with thunderbolt. It would be cool if I could do the same between my surface and my macbook, which has a much bigger SSD.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can but the trick is finding something with decent bandwidth. I really wish these guys had thunderbolt ports. I can access my internal macbook SSD from my imac with almost the same speed as on the macbook with thunderbolt. It would be cool if I could do the same between my surface and my macbook, which has a much bigger SSD.
I tested a Samsung 840 evo in a Cable Matters USB 3.0 enclosure and it got about 50-60% of the performance when mounted internally which should be plenty fast.

Foehammer

I've been tempted to install a few games to try but I just can't part with all that precious space - I need to find an alternative!

That is a problem, yes. Well i won't use heavy programs that take a lot of space, and generally don't keep much media (except 30gb music) on my machine. So will have to "waste" some gb on games.

To tell the truth i'm probably gonna use my sp4 mainly for writing on, something i could have done just as well on say an ipad (pro?). I even do most writing on my iphone. But apple fucked it up for themself, because of iTunes i am forced to have a pc or mac to get my music to my device, so now i won't buy an ipad pro, and i won't definitely pay for a mac. And so the SP4 is glory for a shallow person for myself that carres a lot about how the product "feels", that wen i touch it it inspires me.

And beaides it can do all those other full-OS things that i really do need to do but kinda just spend 0.1% of my time by a computer/device at.

And future-insured! If i do start doing some other things than just writing :)