What's new

Solved SP4 i5 on SP3 port replicator to Asus PB287Q 4K UHD over miniDP > DP

Read eight threads up here yesterday and numerous others elsewhere regarding the Asus PB287Q and full 4K at 60Hz off an SP4 over miniDP > DisplayPort.

The following link says it should work - Connect Surface to a TV, monitor, or projector - as do the monitor and SP4's specs both. Whether I run the v1.2 miniDP >DP off the SP3 port replicator or direct from the miniDP port on the SP4 itself.

Black screen with occasional flickering when the monitor's OSD is set to DisplayPort 1.2 (per the instructions), severe tearing and speaker popping when set to v1.1. miniDP > HDMI only gets me 1920x1080 FHD.

This same SP4/SP3 port replicator drove a Dell U3415-W at UWQHD (3440x1440) fine, no problem.

Any suggestions?

OP
No_ax_to_grind
Read eight threads up here yesterday and numerous others elsewhere regarding the Asus PB287Q and full 4K at 60Hz off an SP4 over miniDP > DisplayPort.

The following link says it should work - Connect Surface to a TV, monitor, or projector - as do the monitor and SP4's specs both. Whether I run the v1.2 miniDP >DP off the SP3 port replicator or direct from the miniDP port on the SP4 itself.

Black screen with occasional flickering when the monitor's OSD is set to DisplayPort 1.2 (per the instructions), severe tearing and speaker popping when set to v1.1. miniDP > HDMI only gets me 1920x1080 FHD.

This same SP4/SP3 port replicator drove a Dell U3415-W at UWQHD (3440x1440) fine, no problem.

Any suggestions?

Got it, read a thread about swapping, trying multiple cables. My original 10' miniDP > DP cable wasn't doing it. Swapped to a 6' cable and, et voila, have 3840x2160 and it worked. Swapped back to the original 10' cable that runs underneath my desk from one end to the other with the caps/holes in each corner of the back of the desk and it still worked, and it's gorgeous.