What's new

SP4 may have NO Ports, Zero, None.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take a look at all the wireless RF interference probems with simple Bluetooth 1.0 and 2.0, tablets, routers, etc. posted on this site, and worldwide. That has been continuing problem decades.

The entire Skylake thing will bring more interference from reliable computing.
I'm convinced that Bluetooth technology is sorely lacking and a virtual failure but like many things that struggled with early implementations wireless has legs.

Linguists said you cannot communicate without the equivalent capabilities of the human voice. I give you Morse Code, a monotone clicking, which is well below the capabilities of whales and dolphins.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I hope for the best with zero wires. My spouse reminds me often about the messiness of spaghetti wires around my desks and devices.

I like spaghetti. But not as much as I like her.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope for the best with zero wires. My spouse reminds me often about the messiness of spaghetti wires around my desks and devices.

I like spaghetti. But not as much as I like her.
Happy wife, happy life. :) Don't feed them too much spaghetti. :D

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interestingly the paltry 7 Gbps of 802.11 ad is a good starting point but the WirelessHD spec calls for 28.5 Gbps so there's plenty of room to increase 802.11 ad further. A classic 2x2 implementation would get you 14 Gbps which is faster than some DP implementations and USB 3.1.

WirelessHD originally (v1.0) at rates up to 3.81Gbps, laterly (v1.1) at rates up to 7.138 Gbps, and, in principle, up to 4 x 7.138 = 28.552 Gbps if using 4 x 4 spatial multiplexing (MIMO).​

Nuspieds

I'll believe if when I don't see it. I say it won't happen that fast that the ports just disappear.
Exactly!

Assuming "A" means wired connection and "N" means number of ports and "B" means wireless connection...then when the throughput of B is >= A (to the power of N), then that's when I'll believe that there is no longer a need for wired ports and that they will disappear.

No USB, no sale. I need it for memory cards, sticks, ext HD plus much more. Without it the surface would be useless to me and I might as well not have one. I use mine for photography and work. It's not a toy for browsing the Web, if I need that I'll use an ipad.

CrippsCorner

I greet this thread on page 3 so I haven't read all of it... however I'd just like to add that everything being wireless is definitely the dream for me. As it is, all I have plugged into my Surface is the Mini DisplayPort adapter and the charger. Just two more to go!

Best solution I've heard so far is to add on extra connections to the power brick. They've already got the USB on there, just need to take that a bit further and get it communicating with the Surface itself!

EMINENT

This is pretty awesome if they can leapfrog Broadwell and introduce the first tablet/laptop with Skylake and wireless charging/wireless display. Even more awesome if they can get the FIDO standard on a flagship phone and and Surface.

Whatever they do, they need to just hit a home run with phone and Surface and go ahead and market a Surface phone along with the Surface. Ditch the Lumia brand and numbering scheme or relegate it to low end devices.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO if Intel releases Skylake in time for August back to school products (which it's said they will do) the prospects of an SP4 with Broadwell not Skylake would be limited on arrival (LOA).