What's new

SP4 may have NO Ports, Zero, None.

CrippsCorner

They should definitely aim for Skylake just to get the one-up on their competitors. Be nice for Microsoft to be ahead for once!

madman6886

I don't quite see how it will work with wireless dock for USB devices. Most USB devices need power, which they draw from USB port, which itself is powered from the devices battery. So if we have this setup with wireless dock - the dock would need to be always powered - either via AC or via its own battery. So basically there would have to be a battery in the Surface and in the dock - at least for those cases where the user wants to work away from the power outlet... It seems to complicated as opposed to just sticking the USB port onto the device itself.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't quite see how it will work with wireless dock for USB devices. Most USB devices need power, which they draw from USB port, which itself is powered from the devices battery. So if we have this setup with wireless dock - the dock would need to be always powered - either via AC or via its own battery. So basically there would have to be a battery in the Surface and in the dock - at least for those cases where the user wants to work away from the power outlet... It seems to complicated as opposed to just sticking the USB port onto the device itself.
I'll give you a point for thinking about it and this is a valid point however, I would like it just fine and from past experience a lot of people would as well of course not everyone. With being separated we would have no power hungry devices sucking on the battery. The device if fanless could also be waterproof, thinner, lighter, with all the qualities of a premium tablet while maintaining all the capabilities of a laptop/desktop replacement device. Further expansion capabilities would be possible and the wireless hub would integrate into the dock for compatibility as well. Maybe I'll have to sell my idea to Jide so they can Remix an awesome device. :)

CaptainTime

I am using my Surface Pro 3 as a laptop replacement when I travel to do workshops. I use adapters for HDMI and VGA to connect the miniPort to the display systems.

With no ports, how would I connect to projectors and large monitors to display my presentations?

Cyb3rDud3

I am using my Surface Pro 3 as a laptop replacement when I travel to do workshops. I use adapters for HDMI and VGA to connect the miniPort to the display systems.

With no ports, how would I connect to projectors and large monitors to display my presentations?

Exactly the same way I do today with my SP3. If the projector or large screen doesn't support MiraCast or WiDi already, I just plug in my Belkin MiraCast adapter which is HDMI 2.0 compatible and open the charms select devices and project. Easy. Has worked any time and allows me to get up and present/demo interactively whilst walking about....

CaptainTime

Some of the TVs/projectors I plug into don't have HDMI so I have to connect via VGA.

How does the signal get from the SP3 to the Belkin MiraCast adapter? Do you require WiFi access?

aaronclausen

No way will the SP4 jump directly to Skylake. They just won't be able to get it all polished, reliable and robust in the time they need to have another incrementally better product out on the market to replace the SP3.

I reckon it'll be all Intel M and Skylake won't be in the SP4. Shame, but I think that's commercial reality.
They will always have to keep the next exciting thing around the corner for us to keep upgrading for...

Meanwhile, we'd all buy something with an M processor anyway, I bet...

Cyb3rDud3

Some of the TVs/projectors I plug into don't have HDMI so I have to connect via VGA.

How does the signal get from the SP3 to the Belkin MiraCast adapter? Do you require WiFi access?

Get better clients :p

Alternatively bring your own wireless projector, I do that all the time as a backup to not be caught out. Or use a VGA wireless adapter.

MiraCast or WiDi uses WiFi however this is direct you don't need WiFi access as such.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
MiraCast or WiDi uses WiFi however this is direct you don't need WiFi access as such.
Exactly, WiFi Direct is point to point the sender and receiver talk to each other directly no WiFi access point needed or used.

Miracast HDMI to VGA http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-SBW...8&qid=1427545136&sr=8-1&keywords=miracast+vga

It's a wireless, wireless, wireless, wireless world.

This guys adventure highlights some issues to be aware of with HDMI to VGA and sound.
http://eiuitc.blogspot.com/2014/03/convert-your-vga-projector-into.html

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No way will the SP4 jump directly to Skylake. They just won't be able to get it all polished, reliable and robust in the time they need to have another incrementally better product out on the market to replace the SP3.

I reckon it'll be all Intel M and Skylake won't be in the SP4. Shame, but I think that's commercial reality.
They will always have to keep the next exciting thing around the corner for us to keep upgrading for...

Meanwhile, we'd all buy something with an M processor anyway, I bet...
Samples of Skylake chips began shipping to manufacturers last fall or possibly late summer, when volume shipments are available they should be ready. I believe the SP3 was originally intended to have a Broadwell chip but the delays forced a drop back to Haswell.

Rumors are Intel is targeting Skylake for the 2015 Back-to-School season (August) meaning volume shipments to manufacturers in time to produce product and get them in the supply chain and on the shelves by then. That may not be all markets but certainly the US market. Probably there will be only a few models ready.

The thing is, do you make an SP4 with Broadwell then switch to SP5 (there will be different chipsets for Skylake so that means a different motherboard and firmware too) in three months when everyone will have Skylake models for the Holiday Season. It would be a tougher sell to compete with Skylake models using a Broadwell design. IMO go long and ship Skylake SP4 in August.

If they stay with Broadwell what will be the excitement factor as they have said investment in accessories will be protected so it will likely be the same size and thickness and there's a modest performance increase + modest uptick in battery life... I don't think they can pull an Apple and just have a meaningless spec tweak and think the faithful will spring for a new unit because they have more money than sense.

kundas1

sorry but I disagree with this "no ports" shenanigans, here is why, first off one of the biggest selling points for the SP3 over the ipad/android is because the others didn't have a USB port! secondly having everything wireless is just prone to problems people will have like others have said interference and incompatibility problems and many many more to list! and lastly speed! nothing can beat the speeds of a direct connection over wireless and lastly why would you want MORE wireless signals in your home and going through your body? this is the reason I think I wont be buying the SP4 and will stick with my SP3...

edit: and skylake sounds too much like skynet... is anone else thinking SP4 AKA terminator? LOL

CaptainTime

Get better clients :p

Alternatively bring your own wireless projector, I do that all the time as a backup to not be caught out. Or use a VGA wireless adapter.

A lot of my clients are non-profits who don't always have budgets for the latest equipment. A backup projector is a good idea, but where would I find a projector as light as the Surface Pro 3? :)