What's new

SP4 may have NO Ports, Zero, None.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of my clients are non-profits who don't always have budgets for the latest equipment. A backup projector is a good idea, but where would I find a projector as light as the Surface Pro 3? :)
Where indeed ...
http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-P4X-Proj...qid=1427650869&sr=1-3&keywords=pico+projector
.7 pounds, 12.5 oz the size of a smartphone but thicker.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ojector&rh=n:172282,n:300334,k:pico+projector

Even some mini projectors are about the same weight, a little larger, brighter, and cost less.

I'm testing Wigig right now with the new HP X2 1011 tablet. it uses a wigig dock capable of driving 3 displays, 4 USB ports and stereo miniplugs. I just lay the laptop down on my desk and it auto-connects to everything quite flawlessly. The only thing I have to connect is the charger.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pfffft. Microsoft can't get people to stop using windows xp, good luck convincing them to use the cloud and forgo their usb sticks. I for one would absolutely not buy the SP4 if it didn't have a full size usb port.

kundas1

Pfffft. Microsoft can't get people to stop using windows xp, good luck convincing them to use the cloud and forgo their usb sticks. I for one would absolutely not buy the SP4 if it didn't have a full size usb port.

well looking at the S3..I'm sure it will have a USB port.. but I agree with ya, no USB no SP4...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
well looking at the S3..I'm sure it will have a USB port.. but I agree with ya, no USB no SP4...

Oh, i fully agree, even without the s3 release. MS would be jumping in front of a trai if they thought they could just remove al ports and everyone would just adapt. Just look at the backlash apple has had for their new macbook, and that does have a port, albeit one that makes life very inconvenient at this moment in time.

There is simply no way (right now) that the sp4 would be embraced by anyone, be it business or education, if it doesn't have a standard usb port (and as to my mention of the macbook, if they dropped the standard port and went the 3.1 mini port, then again, not a chance i would buy it.

We have only just gotten to the pint of phasing out serial ports on consumer motherboards, i think it is utterly absurd to think that we are already at the point where we will do away with usb let alone wired connections.

Heck, i'd put money on the sp4 having a standard usb port. Microsoft have nowhere near enough market share or presence to start pulling off the s*** apple do. Heck, it seems they are still unable of implementing bluetooth on the sp3 in a stable and reliable fashion, maybe they should sort that out before they think of going wireless everything (heck, when they released the sp3 they couldn't even get wireless to work!)

kundas1

also think too that how many people invested in portable HD'S and usb sticks and HUBS and many other things and then have MS and Apple drop those ports and now all the money you just invested in those stuff and poof GONE! WTH are they thinking?

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
also think too that how many people invested in portable HD'S and usb sticks and HUBS and many other things and then have MS and Apple drop those ports and now all the money you just invested in those stuff and poof GONE! WTH are they thinking?
You could still use them, you just plug them into a wireless hub.

Nuspieds

sorry but I disagree with this "no ports" shenanigans, here is why, first off one of the biggest selling points for the SP3 over the ipad/android is because the others didn't have a USB port! secondly having everything wireless is just prone to problems people will have like others have said interference and incompatibility problems and many many more to list! and lastly speed! nothing can beat the speeds of a direct connection over wireless and lastly why would you want MORE wireless signals in your home and going through your body? this is the reason I think I wont be buying the SP4 and will stick with my SP3...

edit: and skylake sounds too much like skynet... is anone else thinking SP4 AKA terminator? LOL
In my house, everything is wired unless it is absolutely not worth the effort/cost to enable the device to be wired.

So, for me, that means I have wireless headsets along with my iPhone and iPad; everything else is wired (e.g., DVD Player, Satellite Receiver, A/V Receiver, etc.).

Nuspieds

I have to admit that if there were tangible benefits of switching to a micro USB port (e.g., slimmer and lighter design), then I'd all be for it because it would just be a matter of purchasing an adapter.

We are definitely in the computing age where software, music, movies, etc. are downloaded, so the need for optical drives is limited; however, we still need to actively connect storage media, input devices (keyboards, mice, etc.), mobile phones, etc., so dumping the USB port altogether would be beyond foolish.