What's new

SP4 Mechanical Dock

Friendly

I wonder if anyone knows if a mechanical dock is coming out for the SP4?

I'm not too keen on the USB port replicator they have available currently. :confused:

leeshor

I have not heard or read about any plans for the type of dock they had for the SP3 being released for the SP4 but that same "mechanical" dock works with the SP4.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The MS Surface Pro 4 dock is not a USB dock (at least that's my understanding, I don't have one). It connects to the Surface Pro 4 or 3 via the same connector the "Mechanical Dock" uses which has high performance computer bus lanes in it, USB and DisplayPort (not officially documented). Anyway, my understanding is the new Dock is basically the same, with an additional DisplayPort, as the old dock just has a different shape.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP4 Dock uses the Surface Connector which is not a USB Dock, it is a high bandwidth BUS that runs DisplayPort, USB 3.0 and another BUS that I'm not at liberty to discuss... :)

OP
Friendly

Friendly

PM me Roach, and nobody will hear a word... :rolleyes:

I'm concerned about the SP4 dock, as it's rife with bad review saying the dual DisplayPort doesn't deliver and is rife with conflict's, exceptions and is very picky with the monitors it will work with. o_O

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
PM me Roach, and nobody will hear a word... :rolleyes:

I'm concerned about the SP4 dock, as it's rife with bad review saying the dual DisplayPort doesn't deliver and is rife with conflict's, exceptions and is very picky with the monitors it will work with. o_O
The SP4 Dock is technically identical to the SP3 in function with one huge exception, it has a MST (multi-stream transport) Hub built in as well, which the SP3 and earlier version lacked.