What's new

SP4 Pen on SP3. Anyone try it out?

zhenya

I have it.

I really like the new tips. The stock one and the one with even more friction are perfect for me as the writing experience feels so much more natural now. The new pen also registers light strokes much more accurately than the old one. The eraser feels great, but you do now have to flip the pen over instead of just pressing a button. I also gather that the new eraser has no pressure sensitivity, although that isn't relevant to how I use the pen. The new shape with the flat side really helps in locating the button which is a bonus because I had a hard time locating the old buttons by feel. Well worth the upgrade if you are a regular pen user and have any issues with how the old one felt on-screen.

otherminds

I haven't yet fooled around with the different tips, but I am noticing a distinct difference while i sketch in photoshop. The pressure sensitive, while not as significant if using the SP4, is definitely improved. And I love the eraser on the backside of the pen. Not to mention, the clicking of the eraser button is satisfying and super reactive.

r0b123

Agree with otherminds' post. Definite improvement and like the pressure sensitivity. Encourages me to start doing some sketches and drawing now!

VickiFL

I have it.

I really like the new tips. The stock one and the one with even more friction are perfect for me as the writing experience feels so much more natural now. The new pen also registers light strokes much more accurately than the old one. The eraser feels great, but you do now have to flip the pen over instead of just pressing a button. I also gather that the new eraser has no pressure sensitivity, although that isn't relevant to how I use the pen. The new shape with the flat side really helps in locating the button which is a bonus because I had a hard time locating the old buttons by feel. Well worth the upgrade if you are a regular pen user and have any issues with how the old one felt on-screen.

Completely agree with this assessment! I just love the new pen!

SRVwannab

Rip off at $70. MS should allow us SP3 users to upgrade for free.
Why? Do you think the SP3 Pen is a disappointment?

I went into the Microsoft Store, ready to upgrade to the SP4, and came out thinking that it would take me a long time to get used to having a round pen with one flat side. Felt completely odd and unnatural.

What is awesome is the new SP4 keyboard, which is beautifully backward compatible to the SP3. Love the new keyboard. It is, IMVHO, fantastic. And, I'm plenty happy with my SP3 Pen.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't agree they should allow the upgrade for free, that's just silly - it's the same as anything technology improves all the time and we've had a year or more of use out of the old pen, it didn't suddenly become redundant and there's no need to upgrade unless you want to. Should we be able to upgrade our SP3's to SP4's for free because we happen to own the old version? We are able to use the new pen on the Sp3 it at all because it's backwards compatible which I think is excellent and I'm really glad to hear that at least some of the pressure sensitivity improvements ARE seen on the older tech screen.

I'm upgrading both typecover AND pen, though the typecover order I placed has caused me aprobelm as I realised I wouldn't then have a pen loop and the new pen wont' stick on the old Surface. As I'd ordered a teal type cover they didn't do pen loops in that colour so I've had to change my order. I wanted Cyan but they're out of stock so I've had to go for standard blue which is a bit disappointing... all that just to get a pen loop to match lol!!

ipaq_101

Why stop there? Maybe MS should also enable you to upgrade to SP4 for free.

Just like how Apple should let you upgrade your iphone and ipad for free every 6 months too, right?

MS is a business and technology has quick turnover and obsolescence, they won't be in business if they just let people get things for free.

I love my SP3 and I didn't see a big enough reason to upgrade to the SP4, but I did spend $200 to get a new keyboard (which is amazing) and pen. I am glad that MS made the SP4 accessories backward compatible, by doing this they had SP3 users in mind. So while they didn't give them to you for free at least they gave you an option to upgrade for a marginal price.