What's new

SP4 Pen on SP3. Anyone try it out?

dstrauss

I like the feel of the nib on the screen, but otherwise not much different for me. In fact, I thought I'd like the eraser, but having retrained myself from my Wacom days with the SP 3 pen, I like just pressing a button to erase rather than flipping it over. Latency, lag, hover distance, pressure all seem about the same to me...

kiwigirl

IMO charging $80CDN for a pen, something that should cost no more than $10 is a fraud.

I went to the store today to check it out and wasnt impressed. The one flat side was a deal breaker. How is that remote natural of a real pen? Has there ever been a pen with a flat side?

zhenya

Pencil-1919217.jpg

In all seriousness, the flat side makes it much easier to locate the button. And the price isn't even remotely out of line with what every other decent stylus costs.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The mechanical and electrical engineering that went into the new pen is actually pretty amazing, the insides have been completely re-done. They eliminated the need to have the watch batteries for the Bluetooth HID, using only one AAAA Battery for both, with a 12 month like expectancy. Its worth it....Apple is charging $90USD for their pencil....

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cant compare an active electronic pen with BIC lol. A lot of fountain pens cost more than the Surface pen anyway.

johnj2803

I like the feel of the nib on the screen, but otherwise not much different for me. In fact, I thought I'd like the eraser, but having retrained myself from my Wacom days with the SP 3 pen, I like just pressing a button to erase rather than flipping it over. Latency, lag, hover distance, pressure all seem about the same to me...

we share the same sentiments...

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
we share the same sentiments...
I'm thinking I might as well as I do actually prefer the second button on the current pen to the "turn it over" mechanism on my Wacom Intuos Pro pen. However I'm sure I can retrain myself when the new pen arrives, and at least the experience will then be consistent between my Surface and the Wacom tablet I use for my Desktop PC.

johnj2803

However, I noticed that I keep pressing the buttons on the old one, with the new one, the button I do not accidentally press, which is really great.

kozak79

Well it's priced the same as Wacom's Pens for it's drawing tablets.

I won't be getting the new pen or the SP4 because the pen only has 1 button. It's a deal breaker for a lot of artists, especially in visual effects. We need 2 buttons to map Right Mouse Button and Middle Mouse Button to the pen.

George Neville

Yes, it is a much better experience. That is why with the SP4 pen and SP4 Type Cover replacing those inputs, I now say that I have a Surface 3.5. Not enough to justify a new version, but certainly a service pack release :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice video again @Wiidesire.

I had a play with the new pen both on a SP3 and SP4 yesterday and can't wait to get mine. The flat side didn't bother me and actually it does help to orient the pen rather than trying to locate thebuttons on the old pen by feel. Although I thought it would annoy me a bit flipping the pen for erase it won't take long to get used to and it does mean I won't have to find the right button. I sometimes used to select stuff instead of erasing it with the old pen.

I REALLY loved the feel of the new pen tip - it's awesome, I can't wait to get the new pen for my SP3.