What's new

SP4 Type Cover arrived - does not work with SP3 Docking Station

Johnny365

That's all it's used for. Logging into Windows as of right now. Maybe in the future it could be to login to websites automatically or using payment methods online.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Similar to Microsoft's "Hello" face recognition expansion plans, the more-secure fingerprint reader will be used for purchases or corporate identity.

Compusmurf

I've never used it "flipped up" mode, always flat so this won't bother me at all. :) All in all, very nice improvement and the fingerprint reader is a nice, added touch. :)

zhenya

I consider this to be a pretty minor issue, but then I rarely use the type cover when docked anyhow. This type cover is improved by SO much over the old one that even using it flat is perfectly acceptable to me.

Locked up mode is working fine for me. I also ordered the Fingerprint reader version. Superfast log-in and no need to type anything. A great upgrade!!

jfourman

I have a new SP4 type cover with fingerprint reader, for my SP3.

The good:
- Fingerprint reader is FAST and was very easy to set up using Settings, Account, ...
- Backlighting seems to be improved. More evenly lit.
- Key action feels wonderful.
- Volume buttons, finally.
- Fits screen of SP3 just fine

The bad but not very bad:
- The extra fold magnet does not work well with the SP3, perhaps because it is a bit too long (left to right, similar complaint to docking station post, above). Must use keyboard flat.

What Windows version are you using? I still have Windows 8.1 (Company policy) and can't find how to configure the fingerprint reader. I tried "Settings > Account..." and could not find anything.

zhenya

Today's Windows update included drivers for the new cover including the fingerprint scanner specifically. There was no fingerprint scanner listed for me in Win 10 until I updated. Is that update available to you on 8.1?

JeffGr

I got the new Type Cover with the fingerprint reader today, but have not yet received the update with the drivers. I'm on the Windows 10 Insider preview build, so I'm wondering if that might be the cause. Has anyone on the Insider Preview gotten the update or do I need to consider rolling back to the public release version of Windows 10?

jfourman

Today's Windows update included drivers for the new cover including the fingerprint scanner specifically. There was no fingerprint scanner listed for me in Win 10 until I updated. Is that update available to you on 8.1?

I applied the SP3 firmware update today. No evidence of support for the fingerprint reader after the update. My guess is that you need to move to Windows 10 with Windows Hello to get support. Hopefully, my company will allow us to install Win10 soon. The SP4 keyboard itself is a great upgrade.

mtalinm

I could not get fingerprint reader to work until I made the jump to windows 10. then the option for "Windows Hello - fingerprint" showed up in the Accounts / Sign-inOptions page.

I'm a big 8.1 fan. so this was a bitter pill. I may return it for a non-fingerprint version (prefer red anyway) and then revert to 8.1. that said, I do dig being able to just press the fingerprint key instead of sketching out my doofy picture password...PIN's not too bad though

New keyboard is such, such a big improvement. so much sturdier; does not bounce; space between keys eliminates fatfingering; VOLUME BUTTONS; I could go on for awhile. most importantly, it is just wider and i think now full-sized (previous model always felt just a teensy bit small. someone said it is exactly the same dimensions as Surface Book keyboard, which means no compromises this time around. Many reviewers say it is the best part of the SP4 (ironically you don't need to buy the SP4 to get it!).

I never use the type cover with the Dock, but if it doesn't work that's a bummer.

right now i'm using it on my lap with the magnetic bit locked to the screen. I don't have my sp3 keyboard nearby for comparison, but I would say that the attachment feels a bit less strong with the new keyboard. not a big deal as I prefer having it lie flat on a tablet.

Ironically, a few reviewers say the Surface Book is not entirely lapable because it is topheavy and tends to slide off of your lap (not enough rubber feet?!?). If the SP3 with new type cover is sufficiently lapable, that will be quite ironic...