What's new

SP4 with 4GB RAM Photoshop Elements?

blueboxdoctor

Hey all, I'm new here but so far have gotten some valuable info on another thread and was given the suggestion to come over to this part of the site (again, new here). I want to get a SP4. My main dilemma is to go for the 4gb or 8gb RAM version.

Currently, they are all $100 off until Feb. 27. So $900 and $1200, respectively. Both with the i5.

I want to run the newest version of Photoshop Elements (possibly Lightroom but right now I don't see the need since Photoshop allows for RAW editing).

I shoot with a Nikon D3300. I want to be able to edit my RAW files. I currently have my main setup as a desktop with 16gb RAM, i7 processor, and GTX 760 Ti. I have zero issues of course with that setup, but I am running Elements 7 and am having issues figuring out how to RAW edit there. But regardless, that's my main editing computer (also do video and audio editing on there, which I have no interest doing on the SP4 since the screen is too small and that requires a lot of little icons and windows to keep track of).

So this is replacing my old 2009 Dell Studio 15, which I have Photoshop Elements 7 on and actually can run it decently editing JPEG files when everything else is closed. Open a tab or two or a few and things get slow.

I don't want to cut myself too short. However, the more I am reading it seems 4gb may be good for this and that more RAM is needed for if I were to do video editing (which I have done on my current laptop it just takes a bit to render, as opposed to the nice and quick rendering on my desktop) or 3D modeling, which I'm not nor do I even have software to do that.

As a machine to bring with me on video shoots, vacation, or just chilling around the house to do some editing on, do you think the SP4 with 4GB RAM would be able to easily handle that or would it be straining too hard?

Thanks for any info, it's much appreciated. In the past I'd say just go all out but seeing as it's not my main computer, I think being a little money conscious may not be a bad way to go, unless it cuts the computer too short.

I use GIMP rather than PS. Both do the same job, but GIMP is a free download. If you can afford to buy PS, you can afford the top-of-the-range tablet.

ramiss

I use GIMP rather than PS. Both do the same job, but GIMP is a free download. If you can afford to buy PS, you can afford the top-of-the-range tablet.
The cost of Photoshop has deceased significantly for home users. In fact, I would argue the opposite... If you can afford the base model Surface then you can afford Photoshop. GIMP is a fine piece of software too.

I didn't pay for my S3; not outright at least. I'm paying it as part of my ISP deal. Not that it matters as I refuse to use any software beginning with 'Microsoft' or 'Adobe'. In fact, there is a free alternative to any software that has a price tag.