What's new

SP4/XPS12 for Photo Editing

blueboxdoctor

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a new laptop/2-in-1 to replace my 2009 Dell Studio 15. I want to be able to use Photoshop Elements on it to work on RAW and JPEG files. I am currently taking photos with a Nikon D3300.

I know this is a Surface forum, but I'm very strongly leaning towards a Surface Pro 4, so I feel I am close enough to having one to post on here. But just one road bump.

My question is, what specs would be best for me. I know maxing out would be great, but I also want to be somewhat responsible and not break the bank. My main editing computer has 16gb RAM, i7 processor, and a GTX 760 TI. This is where I'll do the more intensive work flows and some video editing along with all my gaming.

I'm currently between a SP4 and the new Dell XPS 12. The options are:

SP4 with i5, 4gb RAM, and 128gb SSD. I'm not sure if this will be too under powered for my needs. Again, I believe the most intensive things I'll be doing at once are Photoshop Elements and probably Facebook open with it (I know, not very exciting, but may be well suited for this spec setup).

SP4 with i5 8gb RAM, and 256gb SSD. Clearly, this will have no issues. But for my needs is it really necessary? I already have my photos on a dedicated external hard drive, so the extra space isn't a huge deal for me. And my itunes library is also on my main computer (2TB HDD on that).

Dell XPS 12. This is more of a wild card. I actually like what I have read of this so far (though, some say the 16:9 screen is bad for a tablet, that I don't know much about, this will be my first tablet). I do like how the specs are basically the same on both versions:

12.5-inch Full HD touchscreen Intel Core m5-6Y54 8GB memory/128GB SSD

or

12.5-inch 4K UHD touchscreen Intel Core m5-6Y54 8GB memory/256GB SSD

The questions are: How is the m5 processor, I have no experience with them at all, but the 8gb of RAM may help that out some. And is 4k really needed on a screen that small? Right now my laptop is 1080p (like the first XPS 12 listed) and I believe it's a 15" screen and it looks pretty good (colors are pretty much faded now, but still very clear).

All offer pen/stylus support, which is important for me, or at least I think it's cool to have. The Dell comes with the keyboard and a folio while the SP4 comes with the pen. The SP4 does have a very nice screen, no doubt about that. I'm not sure the color accuracy of the XPS 12 compared to the SP4, nobody is really reviewing the XPS 12 which is sort of weird since the XPS line seems to be pretty popular.

Prices as of Microsoft store's President's Day Sale:

SP4 i5/4gb RAM - $899 SP4 i5/8gb RAM - $1199 XPS 12 1080p - $899 XPS 12 4k - $1099

Really similar in price in terms of how the models for each go up in specs. I know the SP4 is on sale until the 27th, not sure about the XPS 12. If I can do 4gb RAM, the SP4 for $899 is an awesome deal (considering I'd still need to buy the keyboard, Photoshop Elements, and the warranty, but not all at once).

Note, I'll also be using the newest version of Photoshop Elements.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Either of the i5 Pro4s would run Elements just fine. But you would likely be better with the 8/256.

OP
B

blueboxdoctor

Welcome to the forum

Either of the i5 Pro4s would run Elements just fine. But you would likely be better with the 8/256.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if the display units at stores like Best Buy have any memory intensive programs on them or if there's any way to test how much they can handle in store?

OP
B

blueboxdoctor

Also, does anyone know if I can get the extended warranty at any point for the SP4? I'm debating between getting it at Best Buy (currently also has the same sale, IDK if it will last to the 27th like the Microsoft store sale) or the Microsoft website and am not sure if I'll need to get the warranty when I purchase it or if that can be bought at a later date.

leeshor

There are people on this forum using full blown PhotoShop on their i5 SP4s. Look in the graphics and photo section.

If you purchase a Surface and don't get the extended warranty at the time of purchase you would need to take it by a Microsoft Store for inspection to get coverage.

OP
B

blueboxdoctor

There are people on this forum using full blown PhotoShop on their i5 SP4s. Look in the graphics and photo section.

If you purchase a Surface and don't get the extended warranty at the time of purchase you would need to take it by a Microsoft Store for inspection to get coverage.

Ok, thanks, I'm not overly familiar with their warranty. I just checked and it seems they opened one at a mall about 40 minutes away from me, so that's good to know. And I didn't realize that's a section on here, I'll start looking around different threads on that section. If that's the case, I am liking the possibility of spending just $900 to be able to run Photoshop on the go (I realize I'd probably be better off with a Dell XPS 13 at that price (can get an i5 with 8gb RAM for $800 right now, which is really fantastic) but the form factor of a tablet 2-in-1 is really appealing to me as a secondary computer.

Zkyevolved

Ok, thanks, I'm not overly familiar with their warranty. I just checked and it seems they opened one at a mall about 40 minutes away from me, so that's good to know. And I didn't realize that's a section on here, I'll start looking around different threads on that section. If that's the case, I am liking the possibility of spending just $900 to be able to run Photoshop on the go (I realize I'd probably be better off with a Dell XPS 13 at that price (can get an i5 with 8gb RAM for $800 right now, which is really fantastic) but the form factor of a tablet 2-in-1 is really appealing to me as a secondary computer.
Surfaces changed my life! I love the touch screen. I often detach the keyboard and just use it as a tablet, or prod it up while I'm rowing on our rowing machine, streaming via Plex server! Love it. I also love the drawing. I'm terrible at art! Never thought I'd enjoy drawing, but I do! =D ... believe me, if you have a little free time, you'll find yourself using your Surface in ways you would never have thought with just a normal laptop or ultrabook.

wynand32

One of the best things about the SP4 is the screen, including color accuracy. DisplayMate rated it as one of the best on the market, ever, particularly for anyone who uses a machine for photos.