What's new

SP6 i5/8gb/128 vs SP7 i3/4gb/128+type cover

xc1097

looking to upgrade my kid's computer and she wants my sp7.

Bestbuy has openbox SP6 i5/8gb/128 for $570 & new SP7 i3/4gb/128 + type cover for $599

in terms of performance, SP6 is better but which would be better value for kid/school work?

ScottyS

If the SP7 comes with the type cover for $599 it's almost a no brainer, the type cover for the SP6 will cost at least $129.99 from Microsoft.
4GB of RAM is a bit under powered if your kid will be doing any image editing or other intensive task, but for word processing, web browsing and email it shouldn't matter. I know the SP7 i5 is faster than the SP6 i7 (because of the 10th gen Ice Lake processor), but i don't know about the i3.
The SP7 had USB-C which can help future-proof it, it has better Wi-Fi card, better microphones and I think better Bluetooth.

Turbo4AWD

If the SP7 comes with the type cover for $599 it's almost a no brainer, the type cover for the SP6 will cost at least $129.99 from Microsoft.
4GB of RAM is a bit under powered if your kid will be doing any image editing or other intensive task, but for word processing, web browsing and email it shouldn't matter. I know the SP7 i5 is faster than the SP6 i7 (because of the 10th gen Ice Lake processor), but i don't know about the i3.
The SP7 had USB-C which can help future-proof it, it has better Wi-Fi card, better microphones and I think better Bluetooth.

I agree with this reply, however, if you're prioritizing money savings and willing to even look at an i3 as an option, then I feel the need to make sure you understand the performance difference is massive spec wise. She may complain about the slowness of the SP7 vs the SP6. That 8GB ram and Quad Core i5 make a massive difference in performance. Otherwise, maybe look for a Core i5, Open Box, Surface Pro 7? It may cost more now, but you get a little more future proofing without buying dongles for USB-C compatibility. I would say 2020 is the time to get a machine that has USB C ports on it as it's more prevalent now than it was 5 years ago. Also, Costco, BJs, Sam's Club sometimes offer a combo deal where they include the keyboard with the purchase. Sometimes Keyboard and Pen are included with the purchase.

OP
X

xc1097

I agree with this reply, however, if you're prioritizing money savings and willing to even look at an i3 as an option, then I feel the need to make sure you understand the performance difference is massive spec wise. She may complain about the slowness of the SP7 vs the SP6. That 8GB ram and Quad Core i5 make a massive difference in performance. Otherwise, maybe look for a Core i5, Open Box, Surface Pro 7? It may cost more now, but you get a little more future proofing without buying dongles for USB-C compatibility. I would say 2020 is the time to get a machine that has USB C ports on it as it's more prevalent now than it was 5 years ago. Also, Costco, BJs, Sam's Club sometimes offer a combo deal where they include the keyboard with the purchase. Sometimes Keyboard and Pen are included with the purchase.

in terms of deal/vaule, MSFT had better deal.
They had SP7 i5/8gb/128gb + type cover for $759.99 & SP7 i3/4gb/128gb + type cover for $599.99.
SP7 i5 price went upto $859.99 and sold out while SP7 i3 is raised to $699.99

So I ended up buying both and returned SP7 i3. Price was very attractive w/ type cover included but performance was just poor. You can say usb-c is future-proof option but when the system itself is underspec'd usb-c is least of your concern i say.
also i ended up getting open box SP6 i5 for $500 flat. Manager just wanted it gone, came home to charge it up and found out warranty was expired as of 12/9/2019. baffled by what i saw, ran battery report to see when it was first fired up, says first boot up was 10/22/2019.
Which means it should have warranty until 10/21/2020 at very least and whether openbox or not, it's sold as 'new' item which means it carries 1 full year of warranty from date of purchase.
called Bestbuy and they were no help, spent 2 hours on the phone with MSFT and they rectified warranty date and on top of that, they saw that i had surface complete on my other 2 surfaces, they included surface complete on this SP6 at no charge as courtesy to make sure that i felt comfortable knowing I had warranty on the device as you can't add surface complete on device other than within first 45days of date of purchase.

the device does have scuff/scratches and shit but got solid SP6 i5 with 2yrs of warranty for $500. not a bad deal at however you look at it as even on swappa, expired or almost expired warranty SP6 goes for $535+