What's new

SP8 Gets Really Hot

rjbinney

Didn't see a separate forum for SP8.

I have always left my laptops in screen off / power on mode when plugged in. I get lots of overnight updates and stuff, so it's good to leave my machine idling overnight.

My new SP8 though, gets really hot. Whether the cover is open or closed, it seems the fan just can't keep up.

Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

OP
rjbinney

rjbinney

Turns out it's not really even overnight. Booted up, checked my email. Left Outlook and Firefox onscreen - no other "active" apps. Came out of shower, and fan was going HARD and it was putting off some heat.

Turbo4AWD

What are your power settings set to? If you have it on "Best Performance" then chances are it can heat up really quickly.

OP
rjbinney

rjbinney

I did have it on "Best Performance" - figured with only Outlook running, that wouldn't be an issue!

Moved to "Recommended" and will wait and see.

Thanks

OP
rjbinney

rjbinney

Thanks. Been traveling so the PC has been on and off a lot. Will let sit "up" tonight and see.

Thanks for the follow up!

Turbo4AWD

Thanks. Been traveling so the PC has been on and off a lot. Will let sit "up" tonight and see.

Thanks for the follow up!
15 days later. Any updates? Same issue? Did you have to go back to the "Best Performance" power profile at all due to slower performance or did the regular power profile work good enough and not cause any excessive heat on your Surface Pro 8?

OP
rjbinney

rjbinney

Weirdness - I swear I updated the forum last week.

It still runs warmer than my previous Surfaces, but the fan doesn't kick into overdrive like it used to. I have it set on "Recommended" and it seems to be OK.

Thanks for the help - and the follow up!