What's new

SP8 SSD upgrade not working

supoib

So I'm attempting to upgrade the SSD in my Surface Pro 8 from 256gb to 1TB. I have bought a Samsung 1TB SSD, but the Surface can't seem to see it,
Is there something I need to do to the drive for it to be visible? In UEFI I get the no SSD icon. It works fine when I attach it through a USB adaptor,
but as soon as I plug it into Surface directly it becomes invisible. I've tried cloning my old drive to the new drive, I've tried using a recovery drive,
I've tried running a live Linux session on USB, and none of these allow me to see the SSD when it's plugged in directly, only when it's plugged in externally.
What could be the issue? The original 256gb SSD still works fine both internally and externally.

Turbo4AWD

So I'm attempting to upgrade the SSD in my Surface Pro 8 from 256gb to 1TB. I have bought a Samsung 1TB SSD, but the Surface can't seem to see it,
Is there something I need to do to the drive for it to be visible? In UEFI I get the no SSD icon. It works fine when I attach it through a USB adaptor,
but as soon as I plug it into Surface directly it becomes invisible. I've tried cloning my old drive to the new drive, I've tried using a recovery drive,
I've tried running a live Linux session on USB, and none of these allow me to see the SSD when it's plugged in directly, only when it's plugged in externally.
What could be the issue? The original 256gb SSD still works fine both internally and externally.
You may need to partition it once it's plugged in via USB, THEN plug it into the Surface after it's been partitioned/formatted via USB. Usually that's why Windows won't see a drive even though it is plugged in. You should be able to see the drive under "Disk Management" in Windows. There you can partition it as well.

OP
S

supoib

You may need to partition it once it's plugged in via USB, THEN plug it into the Surface after it's been partitioned/formatted via USB. Usually that's why Windows won't see a drive even though it is plugged in. You should be able to see the drive under "Disk Management" in Windows. There you can partition it as well.
For some reason that didn't work.. In the end I had to return the drive and get another one. The new one worked straight away