What's new

Specific Apps No Longer Work After Adding a Work Profile

adamhlj

I wanted to use my SP2 at work, so I had our IT guy add some things to my SP2 such as a second account in order to access files on our work server, Lotus Notes (the email client we use here) and access to something called the AS 400 (I just found an app that is similar on the windows app store called Mocha TN5250, but the reviews aren't great.) They also tried adding trend micro, but that fails to install. Anyway this seems to have broken some of the apps, specifically Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Bing Maps, Bing 3D Maps, and a Scriptures app I use at church. I know that some of these services are blocked at work anyway, but when I am at home, I log into my main account and they still don't work. Netflix has the never-ending dots going on circles, on facebook, the screen just goes black. Twitter won't let me log in giving me an error, and same with the scriptures app. Maps starts to open, but then just goes to the start up screen. I understand that I can easily use a web browser for these specific apps, but that seems to defeat the purpose of using a tablet with apps. I have tried searching for a solution, but I can't get anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

MickeyLittle

The only thing I can think of is maybe someone can help you to come up with a dual boot option where when you boot up your tablet you can pick option 1 for work or option 2 for home. Something similar to Android or Windows. I don't have a clue how to do this but it is just an idea.

OP
A

adamhlj

I am going to try refreshing it, and then do one thing at a time to see where the potential problem could occur.

OP
A

adamhlj

Have you tried uninstalling the apps and reinstalling them while using your "home" profile?
Yeah, I tried that several times, but nothing would work.

If you refresh it will you lose your settings from the IT department?
Well, its strange. I tried refreshing, and I did lose some settings such as being able to access lotus notes, but that is because those files got wiped, right? Well the weird thing is that I still had my network access and could connect to our network drives. So if it comes down to it, I can still remote into my computer from my SP2 if I am away from it.

OP
A

adamhlj

Oh, yeah those problems were fixed. Fortunately, I didn't have much put on the device, so it wasn't a big deal to get a few programs (VLC player, itunes, etc.) put back on.

MickeyLittle

Oh, yeah those problems were fixed. Fortunately, I didn't have much put on the device, so it wasn't a big deal to get a few programs (VLC player, itunes, etc.) put back on.

Glad to hear that a system refresh did the trick for you. It actually seems to cure a lot of issues. It's just too bad that it does wipe out all of your legacy applications as that can be quite time consuming to get everything back to normal.