What's new

Specifications Advice

OP
R

rmgatl

No problem, really appreciate all the incredibly helpful comments! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear (some realistic experiences!).

Cimmerian

^Hehe no voodoo here. I am not sure if a solution for improving your battery life lies in your registry; however here's what gets the job done for myself:

In Power Options set the Power Plan from "Balanced" to "Power Saver"
Left Click on the battery icon on the taskbar and select "Battery Saver"
Keyboard brightness is almost always turned off thanks to the keys being silver, unless of course it is dark.
Set backlight brightness with the (FN+Del) or (FN+Backspace) and set it 3 clicks down from the brightest setting..

Doing this with moderate consumption of youtube media or listening to music aside from my daily tasks will grant me around that 10-12hr mark. Dropping the brightness even lower near the halfway mark and avoiding youtube will push it past 12hours, but at that point the machine is barely usable and becomes an inconvenience.

Id like to throw it out there that this laptop is about 2weeks old now so the battery could possibly be in a tad bit better shape than yours if you are perhaps an early adopter?!(less charge/discharge cycles) Almost all my phones and laptops in the past have shown a noticeable deteoriation in batterylife/uptime at some point, some succumbing to the issue much earlier than others. The first device that came to mind regarding this issue was my old Dell Adamo 13. The battery life was about 5 hours the first few weeks of owning it iirc... Eventually it could barely hold to the 3hour mark.

If the above in italics doesn't work for you perhaps your machine could be exhibiting some wear on the batteries already?! Just a thought.

Sorry OP for taking your thread off topic..

Thanks for the tips :) But that's the problem with me (like legit I have a problem), I don't want to throttle my device in anyway to save power, which I know makes you think "Well no duh you aren't getting 12 hours of battery life!" but I was hoping with the 12 hour claim I would get around 7-8 with my use case. I don't know why I would ever think I would get what they were quoting because I have never gotten quoted battery life on any device. Ever. I'm constantly running multiple CPU intensive programs really racking up the heat, and almost always have my ram maxed out, with multiple wireless and bluetooth devices connected at all times. I can't stand using a device without it's screen brightness being at max regardless of lighting, which I know makes me sound entitled or something but that's not what I'm trying to get at. When I buy a device I like to use it at it's full potential, I just need to come to terms with the idea that everyone's "normal use" is not my normal use. With all of that being said 5 hours really isn't bad and is better than pretty much anything else I have ever used but 7-8 would be perfect for me.

JaeMelo

Thanks for the tips :) But that's the problem with me (like legit I have a problem), I don't want to throttle my device in anyway to save power, which I know makes you think "Well no duh you aren't getting 12 hours of battery life!" but I was hoping with the 12 hour claim I would get around 7-8 with my use case. I don't know why I would ever think I would get what they were quoting because I have never gotten quoted battery life on any device. Ever. I'm constantly running multiple CPU intensive programs really racking up the heat, and almost always have my ram maxed out, with multiple wireless and bluetooth devices connected at all times. I can't stand using a device without it's screen brightness being at max regardless of lighting, which I know makes me sound entitled or something but that's not what I'm trying to get at. When I buy a device I like to use it at it's full potential, I just need to come to terms with the idea that everyone's "normal use" is not my normal use. With all of that being said 5 hours really isn't bad and is better than pretty much anything else I have ever used but 7-8 would be perfect for me.
Ahh well that makes sense. You're laptop battery is totally fine then haha. Seldomly I do the same thing and I'll get roughly the same uptime as yourself. Also I wouldn't say your entitled but a poweruser yes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You're simply putting her to good use. :)