What's new

Speech to text. Works very well with surface Pro onboard microphone.

curney

One of the major reasons that I held out for this tablet as opposed to a tablet with a lesser processor was so that I could install the full version of Dragon naturally speaking. It requires a dual core processor to work properly and the surface Pro has all the power it needs. I am posting this using DragonDictate right now. It works fantastic with the onboard microphone and I highly recommend it for entering text into the surface as opposed to using the keyboard when you are sitting on the couch. There is also the native speech to text feature in Windows which I turned on but didn't play with very much. I find it interesting that this feature is always overlooked. By the way I was able to compose this entire paragraph with zero errors while the TV was playing in the background. I just looked at the Dragon website and NaturallySpeaking home is on sale for Valentine's Day for $55. I highly recommend it.

PS I am also absolutely loving my surface Pro. I think it is fantastic.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The native speech to text function works very well but does have a learning curve (as does any alternative input). I have heard really good things about Dragon but it is an investment. For a casual user the built in feature should be sufficient at least to see if you want to invest in Dragon.

OP
C

curney

You make a good point. Trying the native speech recognition software for a little while is a good idea. DragonDictate works very similar in terms of a floating on/off mic box on the screen. With so many applications being $.99 up to $4.99, $55 can seem like an investment but it's significantly cheaper now than it was just a couple of years ago. I kind of sound like I work for Dragon or something. LOL.

J515OP

Super Moderator
You make a good point. Trying the native speech recognition software for a little while is a good idea. DragonDictate works very similar in terms of a floating on/off mic box on the screen. With so many applications being $.99 up to $4.99, $55 can seem like an investment but it's significantly cheaper now than it was just a couple of years ago. I kind of sound like I work for Dragon or something. LOL.

Well you know if a user is that excited about something, it must be good, or the person posting does work for the company! ;)

ArnoldC

And any speech recognition software does not work 100% yet for all speech accents. We've deployed a few voice applications powered by Nuance and did encounter issues with some spoken dialects in the southern part of the Philippines.

I posted about the built in voice capabilities and I'd like to know if it will work for you without Dragon, but I guess since you bought it already...
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

OP
C

curney

I did not find the onboard dictation software to be nearly as accurate or easy to use as DragonDictate. I am using it right now and I have very few errors. I perform home inspections and it is significantly easier to dictate my comments in rather than use the on-screen keyboard. I carry my surface Pro around the house with me and DragonDictate works like a champ.

SteveMark

DNS Version

One of the major reasons that I held out for this tablet as opposed to a tablet with a lesser processor was so that I could install the full version of Dragon naturally speaking. It requires a dual core processor to work properly and the surface Pro has all the power it needs. I am posting this using DragonDictate right now. It works fantastic with the onboard microphone and I highly recommend it for entering text into the surface as opposed to using the keyboard when you are sitting on the couch. There is also the native speech to text feature in Windows which I turned on but didn't play with very much. I find it interesting that this feature is always overlooked. By the way I was able to compose this entire paragraph with zero errors while the TV was playing in the background. I just looked at the Dragon website and NaturallySpeaking home is on sale for Valentine's Day for $55. I highly recommend it.

PS I am also absolutely loving my surface Pro. I think it is fantastic.

QUESTION: What version of DNS were you using? Nuance says only 12.5 will work with the Surface Pro 2, but I'm suspicious of that statement.