What's new

speed of wifi is slow all of a sudden?

I have 30 down and 5 up were I live. My iPhone can hit those speeds. My Surface Pro 2 did when I got it. But I noticed in the last week or so, my speeds changed. I can barely get 6 down and 5 up and I'll be a foot away from the router. I checked that only my iPhone is connected and it still hits the proper speeds. Any ideas why? Or what to check?

CrippsCorner

Do you use bluetooth accessories? They destroy my Wi-Fi connection... I've returned my Surface and have another one coming to see if it makes any difference.

Rvacha

My SP2 speed dropped in half after the latest firmware and driver update. That sucked, but as of two days ago I'm back to having limited connection problems, which sucks more

bluegrass

Are you referring to the infamous December 10th firmware upgrade. If you were one of the unfortunate ones that this upgrade actually installed, I think you will have to wait until they come out with a new one to repair the damage it did.

drolem

Look into the Wi-Fi adapter's "Power Saving Mode" settings -- change it if it's anything but Maximum Performance.

Vanahz

I'm also experiencing slower wi-fi speeds following the December 10 update. grrrrrr!!!!
I got this problem too. After I reversed to the previous version of driver, the problem was fixed. Then I will have to set the Windows Update to manual to avoid Windows update the driver again. The driver version I reversed to is version 14.69.24044.150 released on Sep 19th, 2013.
Note, you have to uninstall the current driver and select "Remove Software" option. Otherwise Windows will automatically re-install the latest version again.

revmike

I wanted to have faster internet speed so I called Comcast and I was told by tech support to remove icons from the desktop taskbar, I had 5, I removed all but internet explorer and my speed went from 15 to 60, which I was unaware that I had based on my service plan. I don't know if it works for other providers or not, it worked for me. None of the icons had nothing to do with the internet except explorer.

bluegrass

I have 30 down and 5 up were I live. My iPhone can hit those speeds. My Surface Pro 2 did when I got it. But I noticed in the last week or so, my speeds changed. I can barely get 6 down and 5 up and I'll be a foot away from the router. I checked that only my iPhone is connected and it still hits the proper speeds. Any ideas why? Or what to check?

What do you use to measure the speed? It sounds like your connected to about the fastest provider I've ever heard of. I'm on AT&T's fastest DSL which is 6 megabit download and maybe 1 megabit upload. I've heard that cable modems can be faster then DSL but I also heard that depends on how many in your area or on the same cable.

jollywombat

Cable providers go up to 100mbps in the US, theoretical speeds of up to 300+mbps are possible with the right channel bonding and such. Maximum of DSL due to line constraints is usually 6-9mbps. With new technology and infrastructure upgrades, that may go up to 100+ soon however. Select areas also offer fiber to the home at full gigabit speeds from Google, and some local towns offer it around the country.

Zkyevolved

I have Fiber optics in my house, in Spain, and I have a 100 Meg line but frequently it goes up to 120/140. So no complaints. On my galaxy note 2, I never see more than 15 or 20 download. And on my surface pro 2, I never get more than 40 or 50. But my desktop computers all get minimum 100. Strange huh? I have a wireless n Router, too! I just throw it to it being wifi and it'll always go slower on devices over wifi.