What's new

Splashtop 2: Realtime Remote Desktop, Fluid Streaming video and x86 games

jdtimothy

Splashtop just released the worlds fastest and most fluid remote desktop program. It is amazing! I watched a movie in 720p, used Photoshop, and played Alan Wake and Age of empires III with almost no hiccups on my Surface RT. It streams your computer's audio and video to your Surface like no other app out there.

Check it out, you'll love it! Now that this app is out, there is almost no reason to get a Surface Pro, my RT can now do everything my PC can do.
Splashtop 2 - Remote Desktop for Windows RT app for Windows in the Windows Store

2013-03-07T21-02-01_0.jpg
(I'm Playing Alan Wake with my Xbox Controller on my Surface RT)

borka105

Does this mean we now have full flash capability by using our Mac/PC's web browser?!

You are saying you have no lag when using your PC's/Mac's browser, playing iTunes, etc?

This is pretty cool!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Does this mean we now have full flash capability by using our Mac/PC's web browser?!

You are saying you have no lag when using your PC's/Mac's browser, playing iTunes, etc?

This is pretty cool!

You have that now in two senses, 1. IE is Flash capable and 2. RDP is already built in without Splashtop, which is just an app to implement it ;) You would have access to plugins, java and legacy apps from a remote machine though.

Mr.Dan

hmmm how did you manage to run games? not working for me.. says something about direct screen access

borka105

You have that now in two senses, 1. IE is Flash capable and 2. RDP is already built in without Splashtop, which is just an app to implement it ;) You would have access to plugins, java and legacy apps from a remote machine though.

Still a mess now.. if videos are being sourced from somewhere else then it's a problem.. plus no silverlight.

So yes, there is a workaround to update the whitelist... but HBO.com still isn't loading.. sites like redfin.com don't pull up search results.

Ok, I am not going to get started on this again. This sounds like a neat workaround.

PLUS, the ability to play your whole music library and watch movies while not taking up space on your Surface is damn cool.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I totally agree. RDP is a great feature whether through Splashtop 2, the RDP app or the desktop :) It can overcome the RT "issues" and turn the surface RT in to a full PC when necessary :D

OP
J

jdtimothy

hmmm how did you manage to run games? not working for me.. says something about direct screen access

Before you play your games on your surface through splashtop you need to go into the graphics settings of your game and tell it to run in windowed mode. Also another setting to change is set the resolution to the surfaces resolution (1366x768). Then close the game, start splashtop and launch the game and it should work just fine.

This is pretty cool!

Yep streaming youtube or other movies through whatever browser you like(IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc) works great. I edited a photo in Photoshop very easily while using the app. Any windowed legacy app will run almost flawlessly as long as your internet is fast enough.

They even have a paid subscription to be able to easily connect to your computer when your away from home on a different network.

bulls96

I have been waiting on this app since I got the Surface RT. Remote Desktop app has replaced in in my workflow.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

OP
J

jdtimothy

So how is this different from the RDP application by Microsoft?

It does practically the same thing, but it is faster than Microsoft's RDP, so it makes it enjoyable to watch movies, play games, or use programs in which there is a lot of action on the screen.