What's new

Spotify stops playing on screen off

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Follow these steps. It worked for me with Windows 10:

1) (Follow the steps in the link) http://www.lovemysurface.net/turn-off-the-screen-on-surface-tablets/

2) *The next step is to edit the registry. Proceed as carefully as if you were editing your bank account. Type “REGEDIT” in the windows search and open regedit.exe. Under Edit, you’ll click on “find” (Ctrl-F), enter “CsEnabled” in the field and let the search engine find the following registry item: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled
The status will be enabled (a 1 appears in the parenthesis at the end of the statement) press ENTER and a pop-up registry entry editing screen appears allowing you to change the value to 0 (that’s a zero). You have just disabled connected standby in the registry. Close the registry editor window and reboot the computer. I edited power settings and set the power button to do nothing in battery mode ( there are other ways to turn off the computer). Viola! If, while playing music, you select Display Off on the right-click pop-up display menu, the screen goes black and the music keeps playing…
Just as a warning - this hack will negatively impact your overall battery life and hibernate will be the only available option other powering off which will also make resuming slower. Proceed with caution...

Hernán Patané

Just as a warning - this hack will negatively impact your overall battery life and hibernate will be the only available option other powering off which will also make resuming slower. Proceed with caution...
Hi! What do you mean with "affect the overall battery life"? Is it going to damage the battery or it will last less because the tablet will be working more time?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi! What do you mean with "affect the overall battery life"? Is it going to damage the battery or it will last less because the tablet will be working more time?
Battery Life - as Connected Standby allows you to stay on battery longer (not the Life of the Battery which is longevity of the Cells).

Eldergeek

The Spotify desktop app has worked for me for months now. Can't recall what ( if anything) I did , but I even have the screen saver blank the screen after 15 minutes, and it continues to play no problem. I have High performance power plan, since I normally use it with the dock. (Advanced Options) Under the SLEEP option, I have NEVER chosen. Under DISPLAY options, I have Turn Off display set as never.

MagicPoop

The Spotify desktop app has worked for me for months now. Can't recall what ( if anything) I did , but I even have the screen saver blank the screen after 15 minutes, and it continues to play no problem. I have High performance power plan, since I normally use it with the dock. (Advanced Options) Under the SLEEP option, I have NEVER chosen. Under DISPLAY options, I have Turn Off display set as never.

Since Spotify is a desktop application, not a Universal app, the only way I imagine this to work is to set screen to turn of quickly and have sleep at a much later time (or possibly never)
but this doesn't quite work as the computer is still "on" not in standby mode.

EDIT: whoops, guess I didn't quite read your post fully. With those settings, then your computer never sleeps... right? We want Spotify to sleep and still play.

Eldergeek

For Win 8.1/10, Settings/Power and Sleep/Additional Power settings/Balanced/Change plan settings/Turn Off Display/On Battery <whatever you prefer>/Plugged In/Never/Never. The set up your Screen saver:
Control Panel\Personalization/Screensaver. I have mine set to BLANK and 20 minutes. Although I am thinking all this is probably redundant.
HTHs someone

No need to tinker power plans for me since I use a different spotify app that allows streaming and playback while on connected standby! However, I found out that it doesn't buffer songs while on connected standby so it stops playing after song is finished.