What's new

Spotting a Surface in the wild...

Nuspieds

I travel a lot for my job and I have seen the Surface in the wild several times--definitely more so since the 2nd generation. Even from afar, what always gives it away is the built-in kickstand.

Let me also state that the multiple times I have seen it, it was by being used both genders, so that is another good sign of adoption.

On a recent flight back home, the guy next to me was impressed and he actually said, "Oh, I thought it was an iPad...until you started to open up your applications."

FFX

Strange coincidence that you just created this thread, as I spotted a Surface Pro yesterday! MQ which is a higher-end cloths shop here in the Nordics with 121 stores. Have Surface PROs as a way for customers to view all their clothes, and even for placing "special orders" that will be sent to one of their shops.
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG

oion

Strange coincidence that you just created this thread, as I spotted a Surface Pro yesterday! MQ which is a higher-end cloths shop here in the Nordics with 121 stores. Have Surface PROs as a way for customers to view all their clothes, and even for placing "special orders" that will be sent to one of their shops.

I remember seeing the official MS video about that:
[video=youtube;P9ivAKu5ZVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ivAKu5ZVo[/video]

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I am curious though...why did they opt for the Pro and not the RT? Don't you guys think the Pro is a bit of an overkill for the functions as depicted in the video?

oion

Yeah, I have no idea.... It's possible they wanted to install other corporate things not discussed in the video. Special security things? Well, but kiosk mode is available to both RT/Pro. If they use Java or something, certainly they'd have no choice but to go Pro.

ibenzawla

Bad press is what is holding down the Surface and as a result many people are really missing out and opting for shiny objects. In some way I am still happy since I enjoy proudly pulling out my RT attached to my glowing Type Cove 2 in public and get things done with little to no limitations. That is something to be cherished by those that know.

Pro Surfer

I see the Surface 2 on campus all the time. I ended up getting a Surface Pro 2 after watching someone in class use a Surface Pro. I use this thing every day for pretty much everything.

CrippsCorner

I am curious though...why did they opt for the Pro and not the RT? Don't you guys think the Pro is a bit of an overkill for the functions as depicted in the video?

At the same time though, why not go for the Pro? The way they're built in means no one's going to be actually picking these things up... might as well just show things off with the top version :)

oion

At the same time though, why not go for the Pro? The way they're built in means no one's going to be actually picking these things up... might as well just show things off with the top version :)

Good point. I expect graphical rendering and loading speeds to be MUCH faster on a Pro than a 8.1-tweaked RT, and in a graphics-heavy catalog that probably supports zooming and such (maybe video too), a Pro is a safer bet. You don't want the potential customer feeling impatient at all for something to load, I imagine. And the Pro will have a much longer "shelf life" for this sort of usage over time than the original RT.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Well...I can understand that. Today, for the first time, I came face to face with one limitation of the RT. I was trying to do a web check-in. That worked fine, but the problem is that there is no app (or at least I could not find one) where I could print my boarding pass as a PDF document. These are the little things that I am now noticing though I should, in the same breath, say that this is not a situation that I find myself confronting on a day to day basis. Nevertheless, this is something that I think should be an integral part of the Surface RT app eco-system (or at least it should be a part of the device - like the Office Suite. This is basic stuff).

It is small things like these that is leading me to seriously consider opting for the Surface Pro3 as an when it comes out which, hopefully, will be some time later this year.