What's new

Spotting a Surface in the wild...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why not Print to OneNote or Copy to Word and Save to PDF? I find most PDF printers buggy anyway....

oion

Tangent: I use my smartphone for the boarding pass (after web check in, just have my airline text me a URL that I load into a mobile browser, though I take a screenshot to save time*). I'm constantly amazed in my domestic U.S. flying by how FEW people take advantage of this. Everyone has a smartphone, but they still stick with paper print-outs or go to the kiosks/counters. I don't get it. :)

*Anyway, if print-to-PDF isn't working for you in IE11 on Win8.1RT, what about a screenshot?

omega1234

iPads are the standard when it comes to tablets, and they're a great tool. Microsoft is doing a pretty good job of getting the Surface onto TV shows though. Windows Phone and Surfaces seem to be used exclusively on Arrow and The Mindy Project -- I've seen them on other shows as well, just can't think of which ones. I do recall one where the good-guys had iOS and the baddies had Surface's ;-)

Hawaii 5-0 Surface has been used since gen 1.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Tangent: I use my smartphone for the boarding pass (after web check in, just have my airline text me a URL that I load into a mobile browser, though I take a screenshot to save time*). I'm constantly amazed in my domestic U.S. flying by how FEW people take advantage of this. Everyone has a smartphone, but they still stick with paper print-outs or go to the kiosks/counters. I don't get it. :)

*Anyway, if print-to-PDF isn't working for you in IE11 on Win8.1RT, what about a screenshot?

Yeah...well, I would do the same, it's only that I don't have mobile coverage on my phone in the country that I am currently in. It would have been too expensive to opt for the international roaming feature. And, I have found the wifi at airports to be notoriously cagey. If I was back in the UK, I would certainly use the mobile. But then again, I don't often fly within the UK. I either drive or use the trains.

iliketoys

The Surface makes a regular appearance in the Sherlock show Elementary showing it in use pretty often. I've only seen one in the wild but it was nice to see a kid at a Starbucks drawing on his pro surrounded by people with ipads.

CLpwS.jpg

CreativeLemming

I am curious though...why did they opt for the Pro and not the RT? Don't you guys think the Pro is a bit of an overkill for the functions as depicted in the video?

kristalsoldier, I think the answer to this is purely marketing - Microsoft is trying very hard to push their 'intelligent systems' to businesses (Microsoft?s Intelligent Systems), and when this was originally conceived it was much quicker and easier to push a windows embedded image into a pro and hook up with Azure than it is with RT for this type of marketing exercise.

Boomzzilla

Most of the I.T. lecturers at my college have a pro 1, the few that didn't picked one up cheap with academic discount when the pro 2 came out and over here in Australia and they basically halved the price of the old model to $500.
Apart from that only one HR goon at a job interview.

TunaSurface

Where I live multiple electronics stores have all kinds of surfaces on sale.
I've never seen one used by another person live, wonder why.