What's new

Spotting a Surface in the wild...

macmee

I see the Surface 2 on campus all the time. I ended up getting a Surface Pro 2 after watching someone in class use a Surface Pro. I use this thing every day for pretty much everything.

I would say the most popular computers around my campus right now are Macbooks and Surfaces. More and more Surface owners every day!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Another report!

I am now back home. It's been less than a week. This morning - not more than 15 minutes back - I sauntered into one of the cafes on campus where I usually spend my mornings writing and reading. Guess what I see - someone using a Surface Pro with Keyboard, pen and all!

It was a pleasant sight. Unlike my Canadian experience, I spoke the guy briefly. He apparently bought it recently and loves it. He uses various programs like SolidWorks and some math programs (couldn't recognize the names though). He also uses the pen and OneNote extensively he said. He said that he was going to buy more stuff for the Pro over summer and I suggested that the first thing that he should get is the Type Cover 2, which he agreed he should have right at the outset. He did ask though if the trackpad was better to which I had to honestly say that it was if anything worse. But then he saw me remove my MS Arc Mouse from my pocket and he said that he uses that too.

He asked me for my impressions of the Surface 2. He said that he preferred the looks and profile of the Surface 2. I did tell him, however, that come the refresh later in the year, I may opt for the newest Pro version especially if MS is able to make the device a little thinner (unlikely) and a bit lighter (more probable).

This guy appears to be completely into the Windows eco-system (like me!). He has a Windows phone though he did say he uses Open Office (which I can understand). I did suggest to him that since he is a student he should be able to get a good deal from MS on O365.

Anyways, that was the gist of the conversation. Just excited that I have seen 2 Surface devices within such a short time! The gods must be smiling on MS nowadays! :LOL:

CrippsCorner

That's cool. I nearly went up to the person I saw using one as well, but I considered it to be a step too far on the geek scale :p no offence!

Speaking of Windows Phone as you mentioned... is there a release date for 8.1!?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's cool. I nearly went up to the person I saw using one as well, but I considered it to be a step too far on the geek scale :p no offence!

Phone 8.1 should be in the hands of developers by end of month and will be available on the Lumia 630/635 when released in May and the Lumia 930 in June. Existing Phone 8.x users will get OTA upgrades starting this summer. Nokia phones will also receive their newest firmware to go along with the new OS.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Phone 8.1 should be in the hands of developers by end of month and will be available on the Lumia 630/635 when released in May and the Lumia 930 in June. Existing Phone 8.x users will get OTA upgrades starting this summer. Nokia phones will also receive their newest firmware to go along with the new OS.

Thanks! That's what I hear too. I wish it would be released earlier...oh well!

Deckyon

I am starting to see more and more of them lately. Not that I am hypersensitive to tablets, but I try and notice them all while out. Yes, the iPad is everywhere, but that is OK. Because of the iPad, we are getting some of the neatest gadgets out there now then we have seen in decades. Anyone remember the handheld Sony UX series? Pretty cool, but was out before its time. I work in the downtown area in the center of the corporate section. I go out for lunch and there are tablets all over the place, everything is represented. As I said before, the iPad holds the most users, but there are more and more Android and Windows 8/RT devices coming out of the woodwork. Part of it is the new BYOD push at the different companies around here. It is allowing people to use whatever they want, not just company-issued devices.

Sitting in a Panera Bread today, for instance, there was a whole table of people with tablets, 5 of the 8 were Surfaces, the others were iPads. Now, there were more iPads on the whole, but 5 Surfaces in one group was a nice thing to see. I want to see more diversity, which will cause more competition, which will cause some really neat innovations to come out and will really benefit all of us.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Yeah....I know what you are saying...But I thought it was really cool to see this and since it was relatively early in the morning, my geek-scale was not functioning properly. Alternatively, it could be that because I have been reading Neuropath, my cognitive neurological circuits were misfiring!

CrippsCorner

It's going to be a close call lol. My girlfriend has a Windows Phone and her contract is up around June/July time iirc. She hasn't enjoyed the experience tbh and says she's going to return to an iPhone next time... I would just like a play of Windows Phone 8.1 before she trades it in!

Msut10

I see a handful of Surface on campus. As funny as this may be, you see all the macs in the random liberal arts classes, ultrabooks/surfaces in the business and tech classes. Tbh I prefer my surface over traditional clam shell designs in my Lab classes. The ability to use just the kickstand without a keyboard to minimize its footprint but still run full windows is phenominal.

SURFACE MADRID.jpeg

The Surface is being used by the new Spanish government. Way to go!

It is raining Surfaces. In the education class I teach, I saw a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface laptop. Little by little, I am seeing more Surfaces used in Madrid.