What's new

SPro Accessories

fonzman78

Here are my quick thoughts on the Pro accessories after a using the a few days.

New Arc mouse - Just ok. I like that it is flat so I stores well in my bag. When it is flat, it automatically turns off. When you fold it down (or curve it) then it turns on. It is much better than the wedge mouse since it has two clickable buttons. I am a big gamer and the wedge mouse didn't allow for a right click and left click at the same time. This is necessary in games. The new arc mouse allows for it. I haven't gotten used to the feel of the arc mouse. It feels awkward. You have to hold it tight and then sometimes I still can't correctly click the mouse buttons. For gaming, it works but it's too light. I will play with it some more but I suspect I will return it and use a gaming Bluetooth mouse instead.

Wireless keyboard attachment - I must admit that when I first saw this on the website as an accessory, I thought why in the world would you even want it? But now, I am converted. It works great. I had some initial problems getting it to detect but once it did, wow. I love this device. For those of us who are older, our near sight is failing. Having the keyboard connected to the SP can be challenging as the SP is right up to your face. Now I can detach the keyboard and move the SP back to my liking. This makes for a much more pleasant working/playing experience. Also, I can this would be great in a meeting/presentation. I don't need to sit right next to the overhead projector.

Type 2 keyboard - I really like it. Typing on it feels natural and the keys are responsive. My typing speed is fast with it. I recall Mitchelvii commenting on MS not having a backlight on the new keyboards and thinking who needs that. Well he was right. Backlights on the keyboard make all the difference when typing in low light. Nice add MS. I don't know how I can go back now.

Docking Station - I really like this. It's simple to use and hold the SP tightly. I wish it had more USB 3 slots vs USB 2 but I can live with that. I haven't tried all the ports or USB slots so I can attest to functionality yet. If the SP had a more powerful video card, I would definitely consider replacing it for my gaming rig. But, alas, being a gamer, I have to have my desktop.

Touch 2 keyboard - I haven't used this yet. I'm not unboxing yet because they only had black at the MS Store and I wanted blue. Since they were willing to trade out my old Touch keyboard for a new one (plus $30), I opted to buy it and then wait for the blue one to come in. Then I will exchange it and do testing.

All said, with the exception of the arc mouse, I'm very satisfied with the SP accessories. I'd like to hear what others think.

Telstar1948

Wireless keyboard attachment - I must admit that when I first saw this on the website as an accessory, I thought why in the world would you even want it? But now, I am converted. It works great. I had some initial problems getting it to detect but once it did, wow. I love this device. For those of us who are older, our near sight is failing. Having the keyboard connected to the SP can be challenging as the SP is right up to your face. Now I can detach the keyboard and move the SP back to my liking. This makes for a much more pleasant working/playing experience. Also, I can this would be great in a meeting/presentation. I don't need to sit right next to the overhead projector.

Someone else said they like the adapter so they can hook their SP2 to the TV and sit across the room with a keyboard.

Crimson Idol 8

Thanks for the intel on the accessories, mate.

I was already set on grabbing the wireless keyboard attachment, as I've found I actually prefer using the type cover keyboards over standard keyboards, and now I'm doubly set. Probably gonna grab the docking station too.

The arc mouse sounds interesting, particularly since it goes flat for non-chunky carry. Hmm.

Now if they were only a bit cheaper (especially the dock), and available on the Australian Microsoft Store...

TrentonT

I did not want to travel with the SP Pro 2 charger. Too chunky. Picked the smaller Surface charger today and it works great.
Sower but soooo much simpler to pack.

coupling the type or touch cover with the wireless adapter equates to roughly a $200 keyboard... that is INSANE! Why not just purchase a the wedge keyboard (its bluetooth) and save the extra $130+? In addition, placing the touch or type keyboard on anything that is not a completely flat surface is a no go. just my thoughts

oion

coupling the type or touch cover with the wireless adapter equates to roughly a $200 keyboard... that is INSANE! Why not just purchase a the wedge keyboard (its bluetooth) and save the extra $130+? In addition, placing the touch or type keyboard on anything that is not a completely flat surface is a no go. just my thoughts

Because the Type/Touch cover matches the Surface completely. ;) That's surprisingly important to a whole lot of people. But yes, anyone can opt for a much cheaper keyboard/mouse solution.

ALLCAPS

Personal feeling is that the keyboards are way too expensive. The type cover is nice and all, but its a keyboard. 130 for a laptop keyboard. Its not even wireless. It is crazy.

oion

Personal feeling is that the keyboards are way too expensive. The type cover is nice and all, but its a keyboard. 130 for a laptop keyboard. Its not even wireless. It is crazy.

People wonder why the premium mini/micro-cars cost so much when they can buy a cheaper bigger thing, too. It's all about the engineering that went into it. Until there are 3rd party bluetooth/USB keyboards attached to cases that match the Surface size and are comparable in sensitivity and whatnot, these will command a premium...also because it's from MS to properly match the Surface. People buy expensive matching Apple keyboards all the time for their i-stuff, yet there are lots of 3rd party external keyboards of the same style. Go figure.

Last edited: