What's new

Solved SPro3 connects to 5ghz instead of Dualband

Patrikvk

Hello,
I've set up my router to run both bands 2.4 and 5ghz under the same SSID makingt it dual band. The wifi card in surface pro 3 is supposed to be able to connect to dual band routers, but it just wont work.

It connects to the 5ghz instead of BOTH simultaneously. Does anyone know why?
I've downloaded a few Wifi programs for windows to see which one I'm connected to, and all the programs always highlights that I'm connected to the 5ghz band, which has 300 Mbits throughoutput (theoratically so please dont mention it). The 2.4ghz band offers 144Mbits throughoutput.

Now, when my girlfriend connects her Macbook to my router, pressing ALT while clicking the wifi icon on her operating system, it reveals that the throughoutput on her Macbook-router is 440 Mbits, meaning she is able to connect to both bands simultaneously.

Why cant my Surface pro 3 do it?
If I go to Wifi Status (Control panel, Network and sharing centre, click ur Wifi name) it shows that the "speed" is 300 MBits, so it's clearly not connected to both bands simultaneously.

Please help me to sort this out!

Compusmurf

Dual band means 2 frequencies, not both at once.

Fyi, depending on router class, channels and card, 5ghz will go far far higher than 300mbps...

leeshor

Welcome to the forum.

This sentence.
It connects to the 5ghz instead of BOTH simultaneously. Does anyone know why?
is key to the issue. You can only connect to one or the other. I assure you the Macbook is NOT connected to both.

OP
P

Patrikvk

Oh okay, thank you all for the clarification! I always thought I could connect to both bands simultaneously, and I spent hours yesterday trying to figure out why it wont work.

I guess my girlfriends wifi-card is just faster than mine, but that's okay. I'm just happy that nothing is wrong with mine haha!

Compusmurf

Well, her card may not be faster, may be your router. There are 3 standards, G, N, AC. In AC there's several additional standards based on speed. I have an AC high speed router AC 1900, and using the AC band, I regularly connect at 700mbps.

You didn't really provide much info. However, based on the speeds you are seeing, looks like you're on an older router with N speed on 5Ghz

Keep another thing in mind. unless you're doing a lot of transfers INSIDE your network, your real bottleneck is the internet. I may be connected at 700mbps, but my ISP is 85M/85M

OP
P

Patrikvk

But the internet connection shouldn't affect my router, because I am not measuring my internet speed.
I have an old, very bad router, a Cisco Linksys E2500.

But what I also wonder is..
If I run both bands simultaneously I get 300 Mbits on my Surface Pro 3, and my girlfriend gets 440 Mbits.
But if I separate the bands with two different SSID's, and I connect to the 5GHZ band, I only get 150 Mbits, anyone know why?
Because of that, I always thought that if I run the bands simultaneously my computer will use both bands simultaneously too, because my speed is twice as high as if I would run the bands separately.

I only run my router with the 802.11-n standard.

Compusmurf

N speed is 300 or 150 depending upon channels. Now there are different things to get higher on N but that doesn't work on all pc types. You want faster, go AC class routers.

OP
P

Patrikvk

Okay thank you. I've been looking into buying an AC router to be honest, I am so tired of my current router.
But isn't it strange though that I get a theoretical higher throughout put if I run both bands simultaneously under the same SSID instead of separate bands/SSID?