What's new

SQL Server 2008 R2 + SSRS

TeknoBlast

Has anyone installed SQL Server 2008 R2 along with SSRS on their Surface Pro? I was curious if the SP ran fine with SQL or even if SQL ran fine on the Pro. If so, this would be great for me. I always wanted to keep a copy of some of the reports I developed for companies I work for. Kind of like my portfolio of work I've done to show off to potential employers.

Thanks.

Last edited:

buffie

I have SQL2012 installed and it runs great. I am not sure what SSRS is? I store my data on an SD card and it works great. No problems so far.

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

I have SQL2012 installed and it runs great. I am not sure what SSRS is? I store my data on an SD card and it works great. No problems so far.

SSRS is Report Services, which is an add-on to SQL Server. If SQL Server runs fine, then I would assume SSRS added on would be fine as well.

Thanks!!!

Afy

The 4 GB limitation will pretty much be consumed by SQL and SSRS, unless you make all services start manually by default. Other than which I see no reason for SQL/SSRS/SSIS/SSAS to not run flawlessly.

I would strongly recommend the 128 GB version of the Pro, given disk space requirements.

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

The 4 GB limitation will pretty much be consumed by SQL and SSRS, unless you make all services start manually by default. Other than which I see no reason for SQL/SSRS/SSIS/SSAS to not run flawlessly.

I would strongly recommend the 128 GB version of the Pro, given disk space requirements.

Oh yeah, I always go for the bigger GB version.

dlacaba

Just fine for my uses, The only reason I installed it was for Management Studio and just to access other databases. I once restored a 1GB database on it for use with SSIS, no issues there. I haven't run Reporting Services or IIS on it yet. I have run SSRS reports from the pro accessing our corporate report server with no issues/lag.

The big issue is the 4gb of RAM, any big reports will likely run out of memory so keep the queries short if you're showing it off to customers.

buffie

I see a moment of hesitation but no big lag. I am not using million record tables though. Several thousand records.

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

Just fine for my uses, The only reason I installed it was for Management Studio and just to access other databases. I once restored a 1GB database on it for use with SSIS, no issues there. I haven't run Reporting Services or IIS on it yet. I have run SSRS reports from the pro accessing our corporate report server with no issues/lag.

The big issue is the 4gb of RAM, any big reports will likely run out of memory so keep the queries short if you're showing it off to customers.

I wouldn't use the Pro for my actual job to do work, but more like to keep a collection of the reports I have developed and then showcase them for a possible employer. This way, I can show the employer what I've actually done than explaining it. Just like a show and tell of my developments.