What's new

SSD Host writes

Pablo Arteaga

Hello everyone,

I own a 64GB Surface Pro which was exchanged for a new one in August by Microsoft Tech Service. I have had to reinstall the OS three times (once was my fault and the other two times was because while updating it shut off due to a faulty charger -now exchanged as well). I have had to reinstall all my programs and updates twice because of that (three times if we include the first time I installed them).

Having seen CrystalDiskInfo it states that I have made 1428GB in "Total Host Writes" and 763GB in "Total Host Reads". I would like to know if these values are normal for a surface which is not even 3 months old, and if my SSD's life may have been affected.

Thank you very much :)

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

When asking about reads and writes there is no such thing as normal. Everyone will have a different number depending on what they are doing with Windows and the programs installed.

With that said, your figures don't look out of line at all.

Donald King

There is a theoretical limit on writes for SSDs before cells become unusable. However I have worked with SSDs since 2009 on both personal computers and enterprise storage arrays and i have yet to see even the busiest systems reach that limit.

OP
P

Pablo Arteaga

Welcome to the forum

When asking about reads and writes there is no such thing as normal. Everyone will have a different number depending on what they are doing with Windows and the programs installed.

With that said, your figures don't look out of line at all.

Thank you very much for your reply :)

I know there are no normal values as it completely depends on the user, but the surface is 3 months old and has not had really intense use, don't you think it is too much taking into account that it has had a moderate use (VS 2013 programming with source on the MicroSD and media playback from USB drives). Should I be worried by having used so many write cycles already? Is my SSD degraded?

Thanks

leeshor

No, I don't see those figures as abnormal, not even for 3 months of use. Just applying the initial updates would have caused quite a few in just an hour. I wouldn't worry about any degradation at all.

All those reads and writes are spread over all the cells on the SSD so any one cell has had a minimal number of reads/writes.