What's new

Stability and Reliability

ericspt

People need to stop making excuses for Microsoft.

Win10 is fine. I have an installed user base of nearing 100 machines on Win10, no problems.

We have 3 SP4's and 3 SB Pro's in our office. Every last one of them has a similar set of problems. After the last update I now get Power BSOD's on waking. Still get the driver crash but not as often.

1-2 times per day I have to hard reboot it because it won't wake.

4-5 times per day I have to disconnect the keyboard and reattach for either the mouse to work, or the scrolling function(mouse works, just can't use 2 finger gestures)

I am a heavy user of this thing, forget how many times I have to dock/undock it to get to work.

I replaced all the equipment in our office with these new devices for a specific reason, we are a Microsoft partner. They know these problems exist but have not done much to address them. I've been through probably 20 PC's in the office in the past 18 months, even Win10 pre-release running on most of them were better than by SB Pro.

Every customer wants one, no one has bought one due to not just ours, but nearly everyone elses experience.

The SP4's seem to fair better but they still have docking issues and video driver crashes. Our total install base is probably 800 PC's and if they all had problems like we do with the SB Pro I'd be out of business.

leeshor

I wish what you said about those 100 system applied to me. I have had some serious issues with Windows 10 on a few desktops. More issues on those desktops than the users I support on Surface Pros.

The latest was a system where when you clicked on the the start menu or notification area all the system would do is display a critical error and ask that you log out. That was Windows 10, not the hardware.

ericspt

I wish what you said about those 100 system applied to me. I have had some serious issues with Windows 10 on a few desktops. More issues on those desktops than the users I support on Surface Pros.

The latest was a system where when you clicked on the the start menu or notification area all the system would do is display a critical error and ask that you log out. That was Windows 10, not the hardware.

I've rarely had any issues with any version of Windows but it starts with good hardware and a proper setup management. We pick the hardware, user rights, and we manage the entire desktop. The only thing that has held up our Win10 deployments our migration away from Kaspersky who still does not have a Win10 business client.

The only place where I have seen Win10 perform poorly is in a VM. We had a test VM setup for a customer and remoting into a Win7 machine from a SB Pro is an extreme eye strain since it does not scale. The OS did not matter so I deleted it and installed Win10 so I could see what I was doing. The amount of resources I needed to assign in a VM was ridiculous to get the performance I needed. I have to see if it updated and its better but it was pretty bad on a high end server.

The power issue is another one but really what pisses me off more is pulling out the SB Pro from my bag to find it hot, battery nearly dead, and the 3' power cord included with a $2,500 device that doesn't reach from any plug to any conference table I've been at. Forget the cheaper ones they give you with a SB4.

I bought cheap 10' lamp cord to go in the brick.

leeshor

The desktop issues I've had have not been hardware. My customers use Symantec Endpoint Protection and it works fine in the enterprise. Version 12.1.6