What's new

Standard Exchange-In Warranty

joshyoon

Has anyone ever used Microsoft's online service center to do an exchange for their surface? They have two options the standard and the advanced exchange, I had to send mine in for standard exchange a couple of days ago, and was wondering if anybody else had experiences with it.

trippma

Yes, although I opted for the advance replacement option. Arrived in 2 business days with no problems. The dedicated Surface support center is very easy to work with.

gabe406

Yes, used the Standard warranty. Last Sunday I noticed a yellowish bar running up and down the right side of the screen. I hesitated at first to send it in but I did go online and fill out the forms. Printed the packing slip and sent it from Connecticut to Texas on Friday. It arrives at the center today and I will update this post once I get more information.

OP
J

joshyoon

Yes, my surface pro was sent in because i crack appeared after severe overheating. It arrives in texas today also, I will too, see how well this turns out.

UPDATE:
My surface pro has just arrived in Texas, and was signed by Acaciano. Nothing has changed yet, will post updates.

Last edited:

gabe406

Mine final got received and signed for just about an hour ago. Seems like the storms out there have delayed the shipping.

OP
J

joshyoon

My Pro arrived in Texas on 12-10 in the morning. The status online says "Product shipped by customer". One lady form the answer tech told me that I will get my replacement in 1-2 days! another man told me that It has arrived at fed ex, but has not been delivered to microsoft yet, due to the storm. He also said that I will get a confirmation email once the replacement is sent out. Another one told me I should get the replacement on or before the 20th, so many mixed answers form these people. Like someone mentioned, microsoft answer techs are very nice people, but unreliable. Looks like I have to play the waiting game to find out. Anyone else?

gabe406

wow, so many returns and I thought i was the only one. I've sent mine TWICE!

Did not call but my status changed to "Received at service center". Will play the waiting game. Right now the best I can expect is next week. Its not when I get it back that I am concerned about, its what I get back (refurbished vs new). Ultra99, you sent yours in twice. May I ask what the problems were and what was the condition of the Surface that you get back from the service center?

OP
J

joshyoon

Mine is also, arrived at the surface center. Also, I wouldnt mind about the refurbished vs new. Usually, boxes that have been opened, but never used, are considered refurbished. The device you receive will have to be exactly like new.

Striknine

I just filled out my service request for my SP1 due to the blue screen Critical Structure Corruption errors every day.
I'm not sure I want to go with the advanced option where they put a hold on your credit card for the full retail value until they receive your surface.
Just too close to Christmas and don't like holds on my funds. Anyways I am too worried about the condition of the replacement. I keep great care of my gadgets and hope they replace it with a new or like new unit. Plus I don't want more issues and have to send it back again. You think if they are going to charge you full retail value if you don't send the broken one back to them then the replacement should be brand new. A refurbished unit doesn't cost full retail value.
I might have issues with the touch cover as well. Not sure if its software or hardware. My on-screen keyboard keeps jumping when I type and some keys don't work unless I keep hitting them.
Keep us posted on how long it takes to get a replacement and what condition It was in.
thanks