What's new

Standby Battery Life is Poor

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have none of those items. I have a touch keyboard connected and an SD card plugged in and that's it. How do I remove this device?

It is an unregistered device, as other have said, it could be a Wireless Printer or some other Device you've plugged into the device. Look in Device and Printers and see if you can see any greyed out devices and remove any you are not using.

OP
B

bshaf

It is an unregistered device, as other have said, it could be a Wireless Printer or some other Device you've plugged into the device. Look in Device and Printers and see if you can see any greyed out devices and remove any you are not using.

I just checked and the only printers I have are the standard XPS printer and the 'send to OneNote' printer. Nothing else is listed. I'm going to remove my SD card and see if that resolves it. I'll report back.

If you have the keyboard attached and you want to make the surface sleep, close the lid instead of hitting the power button. Thats what others are suggesting. Also, what update did you guys find the culprit is.
Sometimes i notice when i go to turn back the machine, there would be apps open that werent open when i put the machine to sleep. It seemed like the surface remained on.

OP
B

bshaf

If you have the keyboard attached and you want to make the surface sleep, close the lid instead of hitting the power button. Thats what others are suggesting. Also, what update did you guys find the culprit is.
Sometimes i notice when i go to turn back the machine, there would be apps open that werent open when i put the machine to sleep. It seemed like the surface remained on.

I can confirm the SD card was not the culprit. I went to bed with about 65% battery and woke up to it completely dead.

FFX

Same

I can confirm the SD card was not the culprit. I went to bed with about 65% battery and woke up to it completely dead.

I created a powercfg /sleepstudy report on my Surface 2 this morning, and I have the same culprit "Unregistered Device SE" that's active 100% of the time. My Surface 2 only lost 5% battery over the night, so my drain isn't as bad as yours, but I would still love to know what's causing this.

I have the same setup, Surface 2 + TypeCover, and a 32gb SdCard. WIFI and Bluetooth always ON.

Best regards FFX.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Let's try Device Manager, make sure from the View Menu you click Show Hidden Devices, I discovered that I had to "Other Devices" on was the ASIX USB Ethernet Adapter and the other was a Western Digital USB Hard drive Launcher, both were greyed out but had partial drivers installed. I removed them...I will report back.

kristalsoldier

Let's try Device Manager, make sure from the View Menu you click Show Hidden Devices, I discovered that I had to "Other Devices" on was the ASIX USB Ethernet Adapter and the other was a Western Digital USB Hard drive Launcher, both were greyed out but had partial drivers installed. I removed them...I will report back.

Are you doing this on your Surface Pro? On my Surface 2 in Device Manager even after enabling Show Hidden Devices, there is no "Other Devices".

OP
B

bshaf

I just checked this and I also don't have any 'other devices' in my device manager.